Bottles nixpkg has no text (unstable branch)

Hello, I’m on arch linux and im using nixpkgs. Almost all of them worked when ran but bottles gave me this:

I thought it might be a problem with the theme I’m using on my KDE Plasma, conflicting with GTK4 but shortwave works fine despite also being a GTK4 program.

Edit: this happened when I tried to log into dropbox. So I’m assuming some nixpkgs can not reach my fonts…

No, it looks more like you’ve accidentally set an icon font as your main font. Could be nerdfonts?

Gotta say, first time I’ve seen this, and it’s somewhat hilarious. Wonder why (almost) all normal glyphs get translated to github icons.

That is weird because I haven’t set anything other than these two:

export PATH="~/.nix-profile/bin:$PATH"
export XDG_DATA_DIRS=$HOME/.nix-profile/share:$HOME/.local/share:"${XDG_DATA_DIRS:-/usr/local/share/:/usr/share/}"

and my systems default fonts are set by Plasma and they aren’t really icon fonts.

Edit: how can I see the default font used by nixpkgs?

Depends on the application. “nixpkgs” doesn’t have a default font mechanism, much like there is no default font for arch.

The Linux ecosystem is very fragmented. Usually you need to look at fontconfig. I’d start with the arch wiki’s font configuration page to try and figure out what’s going wrong.

If there’s a difference between what you get from fc-list and nix-shell -p fontconfig && fc-list that’d be a hint.

I was thinking how I’m the only one getting this issue then I remembered that I’m the only Arch user who doesn’t use AUR, at least without containering it first.

fc-list | wc -l on root shell returned 3181 and 3182 on nix-shell. If that one extra font isn’t messing everything up, which has a slim chance, I don’t know why it’s acting like this…

I launched bottles again to check the terminal output aand… it works now for some reason… So I launched another app that I know is problematic, markext in marktext only menus are icons, rest of the text is fine and well, I got the following line in the terminal: Fontconfig error: Cannot load default config file: No such file: (null)

Edit: actually now that I realize that it gives that error in terminal on every GTK app even the ones that works fine.

Hm, do you have anything in /etc/fonts/local.conf? The arch wiki page says that’s supposed to be there, and iirc arch did have a default fontconfig file some 8 years ago (has it really been that long?).

There is no local.conf only fonts.conf and bunch of files inside of conf.d. local.conf from what I gathered, is only for global configuration. I’m not sure if that is required in my case.

This is a very long shot, but I’ve seen Chrome do some weird things similar to the first screenshot when there have been weird incompatibilities with mesa. I don’t know enough about how bottles is rendering its UI to be able to guess if that’s a likely option here?

Bottles just uses gtk. I wonder if the gtk font settings are wrong, since it can set a separate font from what fontconfig defines?

I have installed the mesa package from home-manger and switch, unfortunately, that didn’t change anything.
Installing noto-fonts and hack-font (my default KDE fonts) solves the bottles problem but for example marktext’s menus are still broken.