`calamares` graphical installer fails

Hello, I’m trying to install NixOS with the KDE Plasma graphical installer on my latest desktop build:

• AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D
  • Nvidia RTX 4080 OC

I realize that Nvidia and linux have problems due to wayland, but it looks like the plugin that ships with calamares: xcb couldn’t connect to a display and gives me this error: qt.qpa.plugin: Could not load the Qt platform plugin "xcb" in "" even though it was found.

Has anyone else successfully installed NixOS with the calamares graphical installer using an Nvidia GPU?

I am also trying to just setup manually, but even though wpa_supplicant is running (confirmed via systemctl), wpa_cli fails to connect to it.

Still reading through others’ similar troubles, but figured I’d ask here if anyone has gone through the same thing.

Thanks!

1 Like

Some more context:

Booting from the boot loader initially looks as if it will start up the graphical installation process normally, but once you select the normal route of installation from the graphical menu it ultimately lands you in a bash instance with steps for manual installation via the NixOS manual.

I’m having the same problem - Straight to bash and a wpa_supplicant error. Didn’t notice that xcb error, though.

Do you think this is specifically a KDE bug? Maybe using the GNOME install media would work better?

Specs just in case:

• RTX 4090
  • Intel 13900k

Coming back to this. I was able to successfully install with the GNOME installer. I think the KDE one just doesn’t like NVIDIA. Maybe it uses Wayland by default? Either way, there should probably be a warning about this on the install page.