Can't install nvidia open drivers without allowUnfree

New to NixOS. Need help :pray:
Can’t figure out how to use nvidia open drivers. Are they installable without allowUnfree option?. If i try to add this lines to config:

hardware.nvidia.open = true;
services.xserver.videoDrivers = ["nvidia"];

I get error

Package ‘nvidia-x11-550.78-6.6.32’ in /nix/store/qgbn0imyridkb9527v6gnv6z3jzzprb9-source/pkgs/os-specific/linux/nvidia-x11/generic.nix:237 has an unfree license (‘unfreeRedistributable’), refusing to evaluate.

I confused by two things. Why i can’t install open driver because of the unfree license. And why it named nvidia-x11 when i intend to use only wayland (i dont need even xwayland).
(My GPU is 4070, so i think it supported by open drivers)

Hello :wave:

The Nvidia Open Driver section of the Wiki explains that unfree packages still need to be enabled:

Like its proprietary sibling, it also requires some non-free userspace packages that allow software to talk to the kernel driver. As a result, you still need to enable unfree packages.

It’s also worth noting that it appears the open drivers is only for x11 at the moment, so you might not be able to use it with Wayland:

• Nvidia’s open-source kernel module, which is beta-quality and x11-only.

Also,

Be warned that the Nvidia open driver is considered “beta quality”. Performance may be very slightly lower.

Therefore, it might be best to stick with proprietary drivers for now, but if you’d like another alternative, you can try using the nouveau driver.

1 Like

Thanks! didn’t find this wiki page

1 Like