Can't mount partitions

I can’t mount any of my partition except for the nixos one. When I tried to mount it through console, I got this error. mount: /test: unknown filesystem type ‘ntfs’.
dmesg(1) may have more information after failed mount system call.

It worked yesterday and today before oc-ing my ram, but now it stopped working. It’s a problem for all partitions. The commands I gave in console before this were:

[maksz@nixos:~]$ sudo mount /dev/sda1
[sudo] password for maksz:
mount: /dev/sda1: can’t find in /etc/fstab.

[maksz@nixos:~]$ sudo mkdir /test

[maksz@nixos:~]$ sudo mount /dev/sda1 /test

Sometimes, there might be collisions when mounting partitions by name. Instead, you can try mounting them by UUID:

I think it just forgot how to read ntfs, since that looks like the problem, but I don’t know how to reteach it. (it didn’t fix anything for any drive)

What’s your current configuration for this?

What do you mean? What configuration?

For example, for an ntfs partition, you’d have something like this set up.

All I did was sudo mount /dev/sda1 /test, but that doesn’t work too and also recommends me dmesg(1) for more information

Alright, are you sure that’s the correct partition? What does running sudo fdisk -l give you?

Yep, this is the partition I want to connect

Okay, I could reproduce this. You just need to add the filesystem type with -t ntfs3 when you mount :

$ sudo mount /dev/sda1 /mnt
mount: /mnt: unknown filesystem type 'ntfs'.
       dmesg(1) may have more information after failed mount system call.
$ sudo mount /dev/sda1 /mnt -t ntfs3

I have the same problem I had earlier. sudo mount /dev/sda1 /mnt -t ntfs3
[sudo] password for maksz:
mount: /mnt: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sda1, missing codepage or helper program, or other error.
dmesg(1) may have more information after failed mount system call. Same with sdb1&sdb2 and the nvme drive with my old windows.

Do you see any related messages when you run sudo dmesg?

Edit: Also, does mounting with UUID work?

$ sudo blkid
/dev/sda1: UUID="<Copy this>" TYPE="ntfs" ...
$ sudo mount UUID="<Paste here>" /mnt -t ntfs3

sda1: volume is dirty and “force” flag is not set! Could this also be the reason, why windows started “bootlooping” before letting me select the partition I want to boot windows off? And how do I set flags, since after making a partition with some flags to install this os, I forgot.

All right, according to the Arch Wiki, you can clear the dirty flag with:

$ nix-shell -p ntfs3g
$ sudo ntfsfix --clear-dirty /dev/sda1
1 Like

Thank you so much! I’ll try to check if windows works.

1 Like