Creating C development environment with buildFHSUserEnv

I’m occasionally doing C development in Linux and other similar repositories on NixOS. For that, it is handy to keep a FHS environment around that looks like a “normal” Linux. I’m currently using the expression below in my system path and enter it with legacy-env on demand.

I’ve noticed that the compiler in this environment is sometimes acting strangely. For example, when doing make menuconfig in buildroot, I get:

% make menuconfig
/nix/store/5ddb4j8z84p6sjphr0kh6cbq5jd12ncs-binutils-2.35.1/bin/ld: menubox.c:(.text+0x1324): undefined reference to `delwin'
/nix/store/5ddb4j8z84p6sjphr0kh6cbq5jd12ncs-binutils-2.35.1/bin/ld: menubox.c:(.text+0x1330): undefined reference to `delwin'
/nix/store/5ddb4j8z84p6sjphr0kh6cbq5jd12ncs-binutils-2.35.1/bin/ld: menubox.c:(.text+0x134b): undefined reference to `delwin'
/nix/store/5ddb4j8z84p6sjphr0kh6cbq5jd12ncs-binutils-2.35.1/bin/ld: /home/julian/src/own/buildroot-2021.08.1/output/build/buildroot-config/lxdialog/menubox.o:menubox.c:(.text+0x1357): more undefined references to `delwin' follow
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
make[1]: *** [Makefile.br:28: mconf] Error 1

I’m wondering what other people do to be able to compile these kinds of software without Nix on their NixOS machines.

The alternative is to keep a Ubuntu VM around, but that has been pretty unwieldy.

For reference, this is my FHS definition:

(pkgs.buildFHSUserEnv {
      name = "legacy-env";
      targetPkgs = pkgs: with pkgs; [
        gcc binutils
        gnumake coreutils patch zlib zlib.dev curl git m4 bison flex iasl
        ncurses.dev
        elfutils.dev
        openssl openssl.dev
        cpio pahole gawk perl bc nettools rsync
        gmp gmp.dev
        libmpc