Developing news_flash_gtk

Hello,

i am new to NixOs, so some things are not yet clear to me. I am on the nixos-20.09 channel.

I want to develop on news-flash / news_flash_gtk · GitLab. Therefore I installed direnv and have the default.nix with:

let
  unstable = import (fetchTarball https://nixos.org/channels/nixos-unstable/nixexprs.tar.xz) { };
in
{ nixpkgs ? import <nixpkgs> {} }:
with nixpkgs; mkShell {
  nativeBuildInputs = [
    meson
    ninja
    pkg-config
    wrapGAppsHook

# Provides setup hook to fix "Unrecognized image file format"
    gdk-pixbuf

# Provides glib-compile-resources to compile gresources
    glib
  ];

buildInputs = [
    gtk3
    unstable.libhandy
    openssl
    sqlite
    webkitgtk

glib-testing
    linux

# TLS support for loading external content in webkitgtk WebView
    glib-networking

# SVG support for gdk-pixbuf
    librsvg
  ] ++ (with gst_all_1; [
    # Audio & video support for webkitgtk WebView
    gstreamer
    gst-plugins-base
    gst-plugins-good
    gst-plugins-bad
  ]);
}

with this config everything compiles fine, but executing results in an error which I am unable to resolve:

(NewsFlashGTK:9189): Gdk-WARNING **: 00:33:43.195: Failed to load cursor theme Adwaita
00:33:43 - INFO  - Loading backend fever               (news_flash:105)
00:33:43 - INFO  - Attempting to open config file: "/home/felix/.config/news-flash/fever.json" (news_flash::feed_api_implementations::fever::config:39)
00:33:43 - INFO  - Successful load from config         (news_flash_gtk::app:202)

(NewsFlashGTK:9189): GLib-GIO-ERROR **: 00:33:43.611: No GSettings schemas are installed on the system
Trace/breakpoint trap (core dumped)

maybe someone could help me how to run this or even tell me what is wrong.

Greetings
Stunkymonkey

Nixpkgs has a wrapGAppsHook that will compile the schema and put it in the right place automaticallly. You can look at the newsflash package: https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/blob/33ef2f0e07bc52842d0ba617e2fb90c3e4dcf0bb/pkgs/applications/networking/feedreaders/newsflash/default.nix.

I would recommend you just copy the package but make the src of it your local copy of newsflash. Then you can just use nix-build to compile your code.

Are you the individual who is maintaining the newsflash package? What is required to get the latest version running?

not really, but there is already a PR for this: newsflash: 2.3.1 -> 3.0.2 by Stunkymonkey · Pull Request #258567 · NixOS/nixpkgs · GitHub but we have to wait for another PR to be merged first.

1 Like