Devenv 1.0: Rewrite in Rust

Hey,

It’s finally out folks!

There are lot of changes, please read the full post:

Domen

42 Likes

Big congratulations Domen. That’s a big push forward again !

What about changes when using Devenv with flakes ?

According flakes docs it still requires --impure flag. Is it just docs not being fully up-to-date ?

Are there any other flakes related changes ?

Thank you.

1 Like

One more question. Where can I find up-to-date list of extra patches applied to nixpkgs-devenv ?

README file mentions only two of them while " * libpsl: split outputs" is already merged to nixpkgs.

Congratulations, Domen.

1 Like

The templates show some of the changes:

As for --impure just give it a try and check if it complains :slight_smile:
I personally have only tested with impure because I forgot to update the .envrc on my projects.

Congratulations Domen - I love your work (along with the other contributors - @mightyiam has done big things here it seems - thank you!). I am amazed at how much you have managed to do in this major release.

I am looking forward to doing the update and diving into it more.

1 Like

Read the change log!

Congratulations Domen! Massive release.

1 Like

The flake bits still require --impure until Fine-grained impurity · Issue #8865 · NixOS/nix · GitHub is implemented.

All the changes apply to flakes, except for all the CLI improvements.

1 Like

Now that 1.0 is out I can work slowly on upstreaming all those changes and updating the README, also need to automate bumping the upstream nixpkgs.

2 Likes

I’ve released 1.0.1 with some hot fixes, mostly to ease transition and bugs folks found while testing!

3 Likes

I’ve done some work today to make up to date list of the upcoming bump-rolling and CI automation to run all the tests, see the updates README : GitHub - cachix/devenv-nixpkgs: Tested nixpkgs pins that work with devenv

3 Likes

1.0.2 is out!

2 Likes

1.0.3 is out :partying_face:

7 Likes

1.0.4 is out.

4 Likes