Direnv taking an extremely long amount of time to copy directory contents

I have configured a python environment with pytorch, but when I cd into the directory, the copying takes an extremely long amount of time. I am thinking it has to do with the fact that I have a data folder with a lot of data in it. I am wondering if it is trying to copy this data to the nix store or something, and if so, if I can tell direnv to exclude this folder.

I get two warning when I cd in. direnv: nix-direnv: minimum required nix-direnv version is 3.0.5 (installed: 3.0.4) which I assume comes from an update to direnv yesterday that isn’t in unstable yet. And the execution time warning: direnv: ([/nix/store/35klgzald67mkslqb9kkv01gn98zfbza-direnv-2.34.0/bin/direnv export zsh]) is taking a while to execute. Use CTRL-C to give up..

Here is the directory tree:

ls -R projects/lfg
data  flake.lock  flake.nix  shell.nix  train.py

projects/lfg/data:
2024-06-02_12-34-51.mp4  ER1_1.mp4  ER1_4.mp4  ER1_7.mp4  ER1_10.mp4  ER1_13.mp4  ER1_16.mp4  ER1_19.mp4  ER1_22.mp4  ER1_25.mp4  ER1_28.mp4  ER1_31.mp4  ER1_34.mp4  ER1_37.mp4  ER1_40.mp4
2024-06-02_12-56-41.mp4  ER1_2.mp4  ER1_5.mp4  ER1_8.mp4  ER1_11.mp4  ER1_14.mp4  ER1_17.mp4  ER1_20.mp4  ER1_23.mp4  ER1_26.mp4  ER1_29.mp4  ER1_32.mp4  ER1_35.mp4  ER1_38.mp4  
ER1_0.mp4                ER1_3.mp4  ER1_6.mp4  ER1_9.mp4  ER1_12.mp4  ER1_15.mp4  ER1_18.mp4  ER1_21.mp4  ER1_24.mp4  ER1_27.mp4  ER1_30.mp4  ER1_33.mp4  ER1_36.mp4  ER1_39.mp4

.envrc:

if ! has nix_direnv_version || ! nix_direnv_version 3.0.5; then
    source_url "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/nix-community/nix-direnv/3.0.5/direnvrc" "sha256-RuwIS+QKFj/T9M2TFXScjBsLR6V3A17YVoEW/Q6AZ1w="
fi
use flake

flake.nix:

{
  description = "A basic flake with a shell";
  inputs.nixpkgs.url = "github:NixOS/nixpkgs/nixpkgs-unstable";
  inputs.flake-utils.url = "github:numtide/flake-utils";

outputs = { nixpkgs, flake-utils, ... }:
    flake-utils.lib.eachDefaultSystem (system:
      let
        pkgs = nixpkgs.legacyPackages.${system};
      in
      {
        devShells.default = pkgs.mkShell {
          packages = with pkgs; [
            (python312.withPackages (ps: with ps; [
              torch
              torchvision
              av
            ]))
          ];
        };
      });
}

shell.nix:

{ pkgs ? import <nixpkgs> {
  config = {
    allowUnfree = true;
    cudaSupport = true;
  };}
}:

pkgs.mkShell {
  packages = with pkgs; [
    (python312.withPackages (ps: with ps; [
      torch
      torchvision
      av
    ]))
  ];
}

I think your flake is trying to compile something the takes too long to compile.

Try this as debug process:

nix shell /absolute/path/to/the/directory

It will show what is taking too long to compile.
Try updating your flake.lock or change to latest stable release
inputs.nixpkgs.url = "github:NixOS/nixpkgs/release-24.05";

I am pretty confident it has to do with the data subfolder containing about 23GB of videos. When I copy the flake.nix and .envrc to a different folder and direnv allow it builds in about a second.

running nix shell /home/user/projects/lfg spends a long time in copying /home/user/projects/lfg and then outputs error: flake 'path:/home/user/projects/blah' does not provide attribute 'packages.x86_64-linux.default' or 'defaultPackage.x86_64-linux'

Running the same command in another directory with the same flake.nix and .envrc, but without the data folder, doesn’t spend many minutes copying, and outputs the same error immediately.

Yes. This is a current limitation of flakes. One way to get around this might be to put these videos outside of the git repository or having your flake leave in a subdirectory that is its own flake i.e. nix.
In direnv you can use than something like

use flake path:./nix

to than avoid having to copy your assets to the nix store.

1 Like

An alternative would be to use the old style nix-shell approach. So having instead a default.nix. This will also avoid copying things around.

I feel the simplest solution ended up being moving the flake.nix and .envrc to a src folder in the same directory as the data folder. Now the environment gets created much faster since the data isn’t copied. Thanks.