Discourse not sending some emails

Update: we have changed to a paid subscription with Discourse, which includes a larger email quota, so the issue with not sending some emails has been resolved.

4 Likes

Hi @ryantm, Hi @zimbatm,

I do not know your motivations to move to a paid plan, but I hope it was not forced upon you by 75 mailing list users.

I am just catching up emails (and the nix mailing list!) from two weeks off for family reasons, so that explains why I did not answer faster to the personal email. Now, several options discussed above would suit me. And for the record, I would also understand if the mailing list mode had to be disabled to keep the notifications working for the majority of users.

In the meantime, thanks to those funding the discourse subscription :slight_smile: . Am I right to guess that this is done through the NixOS foundation ?

The main motivation for the upgrade was so that users who want, can keep using the mailing-list mode. It’s an option that we believe should be available. Ryan has been working with the NixOS Foundation to use their credit card for that :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’m really glad to be able to re-enable the ML mode! Thanks.

Note that you can contribute to The NixOS Foundation - Open Collective to help fund infrastructure like this :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It looks like we’re already hitting a new email limit.

I get some messages ending with a

Heads up: We send a maximum of 100 daily emails. Check the site to see the ones that might be held back. PS thanks for being popular!

I also do miss a lot of responses via the ML mode.

2 Likes

:crying_cat_face:

Looks like we’re going to have to deploy Discourse ourselves.

1 Like

We, the Flying Circus would be happy to offer free hosting for the NixOS Discourse, without mail limits :wink: Our web hosting platform is running on NixOS and we were thinking about how we could contribute more to the community. I have some years of experience running Discourse on NixOS for other organisations using the official Docker approach but with the new module from @talyz this should be even more fun:

https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/pull/116074

I’ll try that out later today or tomorrow and I think that we can set up a test system next week.

16 Likes

That would be great! PM me and let’s make that happen.

3 Likes

Thank you! I am willing to be a backup / complementary time zone sysadmin for it. I have a similar history with using the docker container and have begun to evaluate using that module.

3 Likes

That’s great! I’m glad to see the module be useful so soon! :smile_cat: I would also be happy to help out with setting up / maintaining the instance however I can. I’ll also try to keep the package up-to-date in a timely fashion, but help is always appreciated :wink:

4 Likes

I just adjusted it to be 1000.

2 Likes

Great work! I have tried it out for a new instance and it works well so far. Next I’m going to play with incoming mail and migrate my old docker-based test instance.

3 Likes