Discourse not sending some emails

Our free Discourse hosting plan is limited to 5000 emails a day, and we are now hitting that limit. Until we resolve this issue, not all emails will be delivered. Please check the website to make sure you see everything. We’ll try to resolve this as soon as possible and post updates here.

Update: we have since changed to a paid subscription with Discourse, which includes a larger email quota, so the issue with not sending some emails has been resolved.

5 Likes

A quick update on the situation:

The vast majority of emails are caused by 75 users that have configured Discourse as with the mailing-list option. For example yesterday, 75 users * 61 posts == 4575 emails.

To resolve the situation I see 3 possible routes:

1. Turn off/resuce mailing-list mode usage.
  2. Update from the free OSS plan. Most likely we will have to start paying for the $300.-/month plan.
  3. Start self-hosting Discourse, which will cost ~$150.-/month to run on AWS, not counting human time to setup and maintain the forum.

For now, the easiest and cheapest option is (1).

My next step will be to contact those 75 users to see if everybody needs the feature.

If you are one of those 75 users and just want to be kept up to date with the forum, my recommendation is to subscribe to first posts in the categories that you are interested in:

5 Likes

zimbatm via NixOS Discourse nixos1@discoursemail.com writes:

If you are one of those 75 users and just want to be kept up to
date with the forum, my recommendation is to subscribe to first
posts in the categories that you are interested
in:

As one of the 75, this looks like a good replacement :+1: Thank you
for the alternative.

My next step will be to contact those 75 users to see if everybody needs the feature.

If you are one of those 75 users and just want to be kept up to date with the forum, my recommendation is to subscribe to first posts in the categories that you are interested in:

I typically read non-first posts via email, too (sometimes including threads I expected to not follow from the first post)

Discourse is surely a mess both as a mailing list and as a web forum, but slightly less in the email mode. But oh well, if Nix community will not have any mailing list, whatever. Probably not worth adding to the website scrapers.

I typically read non-first posts via email, too (sometimes including threads I expected to not follow from the first post)

Discourse is surely a mess both as a mailing list and as a web forum, but slightly less in the email mode. But oh well, if Nix community will not have any mailing list, whatever. Probably not worth adding to the website scrapers.

(If there is a single VPS being the only thing subscribed to mailing list mode and forwarding just the stream to everyone who wants, I will subscribe to that, of course)

2 Likes

As one of these users, done.
I prefer the mailing list mode, but it’s not a big deal, so I disabled it.
I’ll be trying the app.

I strongly prefer full mailing list mode over first post only, but I will switch if we will otherwise be unable to sustain the forum.

Hey,

I’m one of these users. That’s a shame, using email as a sole entry
point allow me to both lurk and participate without having to manually
poll every webforum I’m interested in. Sounds like a shady business
practice from discourse, but I understand the issue though. I’m going to
disable the mailing list mode.

For mostly-lurkers like me, there’s apparently a third option: RSS
feeds Enabling RSS feed on Discourse setup - support - Discourse Meta

You can’t directly interact using these, but at least you can keep up to
date with the important announcements. TL;DR: add a .rss at the end of
any URL to get the associated feed.

4 Likes

RSS also cannot give the one thing I actually would want, i.e. the stream of all comments, right?

NixOS Discourse - Latest posts is everything, I think.

2 Likes

Is there a batched e-mail mode so that discourse will send me an e-mail once or twice a day instead of every time something happens?

1 Like

@ryantm thanks for the heads-up i will use the rss feed instead of mail then.
Cheers!

Done. As I am mostly reading, I will try to subscribe to the RSS feed as suggested in the thread as I’m not too keen to install the Discourse app. There was the mention of missing the comments via the feed, but that can be looked at later. Hopefully this workaround makes things easy for now.

Cheers!

In your email settings, there is a “Digest” feature that can be turned on. It supports hourly/daily/weekly/+ frequencies. That being said, since it’s a digest it will only post the 5 last topics so it’s not exactly like a batched mode.

To clarify my thinking (wrt the other replies), my hope is that 20 or so people don’t really need the mailing-list mode. That would be enough to keep us under the rate-limit and not have to deal with it immediately. If your workflow relies on that mailing-list mode then keep it. I also recognize the value on having distributed archived copies of the forum.

2 Likes

Indeed looks like this RSS includes everything, thanks. (Not sure what is the required grabbing frequency)

Sure, if migration to Discourse is even worse than understood in-process, then I do not need to get anything from Discourse reliably…

Ryan Mulligan via NixOS Discourse nixos1@discoursemail.com writes:

Our free Discourse hosting plan is limited to 5000 emails a day, and
we are now hitting that limit. Until we resolve this issue, not all
emails will be delivered. Please check the website to make sure you
see everything. We’ll try to resolve this as soon as possible and post
updates here.

For the record, I deactivate the mailing list mode, so this is one user
less.

Nix is a great project and I will (try to) follow on IRC
henceforth. Discourse, because it is a web stuff and I don’t want to use
a web browser for discussions, is definitely not for me.

Don’t bother answering this email, for I most likely won’t see it
(because I deactivated the mailing list mode :-P).

My best,

As it looks like the old nix mailing list is still up with a recent post to it, would it make sense to subscribe it to discourse and then ask that everyone who would be interested in mailing list mode just use the old mailing list? It’d be read-only and to write one would need to go to the web interface, but at least for me it’d solve the issue.

(And ideally we’d restrict who can post to the ML to only the discourse itself, so that we don’t end up with a split community — but with the fact that there are only 75 current users and the move to Discourse didn’t fail I’d say just social process should be enough)

This being said, subscribing the ML to discourse may be a bad thing in a way, with the fact that it basically anonymizes anyone who would want to misuse this account for other purposes… but then discourse account creation is basically free-for-all anyway, so we wouldn’t lose much here AFAIK.

Hm, can you ban the account from posting but allow it to be subscribed?