Do we need to package Unifi OS and deprecate `services.unifi`?

Unifi Network Appliance, the package which is deployed via services.unifi.[*], is constantly popping up a dialog telling me to upgrade to Unifi OS.

I took some time today to look in to it and I’m not really sure how needed it is unless Ubiquiti stops publishing Network Appliance itself.

I found a project which repackages Unifi OS as docker images. I can’t figure out any other way to extract the images Unifi is publishing than running their binary and finding the files it self-extracts.

On top of all that, it appears that Unifi OS as released is not updating along with changes released by Network Appliance and may be expecting to update itself and it’s components which I would guess is an issue for us with NixOS.

Since we use services.unifi.[*] for the network appliance I assume we’d need to use services.unifi-os.[*] or similar to avoid surprising existing users. I’m also unclear from their docs on what the upgrade process would look like.

I have not tried running it yet, but I wanted to start a discussion on what we want to do and if anyone else knows information about it and running it on NixOS.

Prior Discussions:

4 Likes