Downloading packages with Nixos issue

Please just one info if I want to download steam what is the command line I tried NIV-E steam and it didnt work

You enable programs.steam.enable in your configuration, then you rebuild the system using sudo nixos-rebuild switch. It always boild down to this:

• find option(s)
  • set option(s)
  • rebuild/switch

PS: I have no clue what “NIV-E” is, though if you meant to write nix-env, then yes, that does not work, as steam requires extra setup on the system level, which is done by enabling aforementioned option. In general: don’t use nix-env

Yes t tried niv-env steam I mispelled before please what do you mean when you say You enable [ programs.steam.enable

As mentioned several times, it means that you:

1. open your systems configuration file (usually /etc/nixos/configuration.nix) in an editor (eg. sudoedit /etc/nixos/configuration.nix).
  2. Integrate the programs.steam.enable = true; setting in the returned attributes set, such that the configuration remains syntactically and semantically valid.
  3. Save the file and quit the editor
  4. Run the command sudo nixos-rebuild switch

Is there any direct video that shows how to do this

Have you watched the series by Will that I already linked?

The should show the general process, there is probably not a video that shows enabling the steam option specifically.

yes I did but on youtube there are so many videos that show you on how nix os works some of them are very long

I skimmed the first three videos from Will. In the second and third video he opens the configuration several times and also edits it.

I assume your question is covered in those videos.

If you prefer to run arbitrary commands that change your system state arbitrarily, thats fine, though that is not what NixOS will give you.

In NixOS everything is build around the central configuration, written in the nix expression language. Quite a lot of other configuration of system services, cronjobs, editor configuration even can be done through that file and should be done there!

You do not learn nix expression language in 5 minutes, though thats enough for the basics.

You do not learn how to configure NixOS in an hour, but its enough to flip some options on and off.

NixOS will throw a lot of sticks between your feets, especially if you are not willing to unlearn. Though once you crossed the line, there is really no way back.

On the third video he opens the configuration several times and also edits please do you have the direct link that video regarding Nix os it is different to Ubuntu Arch there you just go and software center in Ubuntu and Arch also and download steam that’s it. Nix os is different takes time to learn.

Here I linked the playlist.

You won’t gain anything from a snippet where he opens and closes the editor for a quick change without the context.

Please do yourself a favour and watch the full series.

Alternatively the manual has a full part about configuration. Read it.

It even references back into the installation part to explain how to open the configuration.