Edit posts days after they have been posted

I wrote a Nix Haskell Development (2020) guide yesterday based on how I was using Nix. I got some great feedback that day and updated the post accordingly. However, some of the comments required a bit more time than I had yesterday, so I deferred that work until today.

The problem is, I cannot edit my post anymore.This means I have to put the updates as a separate reply, essentially reposing the whole Howto. This means the Howto becomes misleading since you have to read the comments below it to re-construct what you should actually be doing. To me the real benefit of Discourse over simply writing a wiki article is that its easy to receive feedback/ideas that I can then put in the original post.

Another example is my other Howto Troubleshooting fetch* commands (like fetchFromGitHub) which after a little discussion showed me that using niv or nix-prefetch-git is a much better way to prevent some of the confusion I was running into.

Is it possible to open Howto posts to be edited long after they have been posted?

Thanks for making these guides! We could turn them into community wiki posts, then anyone with enough trust can edit them. Could I do that for these two?

2 Likes

Thanks for making these guides! We could turn them into community wiki posts, then anyone with enough trust can edit them. Could I do that for these two?

At what point does it make sense to also copy them to the actual NixOS Wiki?

5 Likes

Yes, definitely!

To me Discourse is a place to discuss and improve the content of a Howto overtime and the NixOS Wiki is where we put the final product. I don’t expect the discussion to end after a post makes it on the NixOS Wiki. Each time a new conclusion/adjustment is reached the post should by updated on the NixOS Wiki. Deciding when that discussion has reached a point where the NixOS Wiki should be updated would be up to the community members and author. There doesn’t need to be a set time, but after a few days without activity or when all discussion points have been addressed the post should go on the NixOS Wiki.

1 Like

I made those two into wiki posts.

To me Discourse is a place to discuss and improve the content of a Howto overtime and the NixOS Wiki is where we put the final product. I don’t expect the discussion to end after a post makes it on the NixOS Wiki. Each time a new conclusion/adjustment is reached the post should by updated on the NixOS Wiki. Deciding when that discussion has reached a point where the NixOS Wiki should be updated would be up to the community members and author. There doesn’t need to be a set time, but after a few days without activity or when all discussion points have been addressed the post should go on the NixOS Wiki.

Hm, yes, sounds reasonable to let the discussion converge for the first time and copy soon afterwards.

(Which I guess makes Discourse another tier in the sometimes observed Wiki → Manual flow)