"Eelco's Legacy"

Movie script written by GPT-3 at nix.camp. Details below. No container deployment programs were hurt during the production of this script.

INT. EELCO’S BEDROOM - NIGHT

Yes! My package manager is perfect! The world will finally know my name!

He gets up from his chair, and goes to his window. He looks out at the city, and imagines all the people using his software.

EELCO

Yes! My legacy will be cemented in history!

Suddenly, he hears a strange noise outside. He looks down, and sees a large, black car parked in front of his house.

EELCO

Who’s that?

He watches as two men in black suits get out of the car, and approach his front door. He quickly runs downstairs, and hides behind the door.

EELCO

(to himself)

What do they want with me?

He hears a knock at the door, and then someone trying to open it. He holds his breath, as the door is forced open.

INT. EELCO’S HOUSE - CONTINUOUS

MAN 1

Got you!

The two men drag Eelco outside, and throw him into the back of their car.

INT. BLACK CAR - MOVING

Eelco is terrified, as the car speeds away. He looks at the two men, who are both staring at him.

MAN 2

So, Mr. Dolstra. You have created quite a stir with your little package manager.

EELCO

What do you want with me?

MAN 2

We represent a very powerful client who is very interested in your software.

EELCO

Who is it?

MAN 1

That’s not important. What is important is that you come with us, and work for our client.

EELCO

No! I won’t! My software is free! It’s for the world!

MAN 2

I’m afraid you don’t have a choice, Mr. Dolstra.

The car pulls up to a large, imposing building.

MAN 1

Welcome to your new home, Mr. Dolstra.

Eelco is dragged out of the car, and into the building. The door slams shut behind him.

Inside the building, Eelco is met by a man in a lab coat.

MAN 3

Welcome, Mr. Dolstra. We’ve been expecting you. On a table in the middle of the room is a laptop, with a screen that reads “Welcome to the Nix Package Manager”.

EELCO

What is this place?

MAN 3

This is where you will be working from now on. You will be our lead developer on the Docker project.

EELCO

What?! No! I won’t!

MAN 3

I’m afraid you have no choice, Mr. Dolstra. If you refuse to work on the project, then we will have to insert many inconspicuous bugs into Nix.

EELCO

You can’t do that!

MAN 3

Yes, we can. And we will. Unless you agree to work for us.

EELCO

( defeated )

Fine. I’ll do it.

MAN 3

Good. I’m glad to hear it.

EELCO is taken to a room with a computer, and told to start working.

EELCO

(to himself)

This is not what I wanted for my life. But at least my software will still be used by the world. Even if it is under the control of these people.

AT NIGHT, EELCO is in his room, working on the project. He is tired, and frustrated. He looks around to see if the guards are still there. He creates a new file: destroy-docker.nix

EELCO

(to himself)

This will be my legacy. My final act of defiance.

He types in a few lines of code, and then builds the package. He tests it, and it works. He then uploads it to the server.

EELCO

(to himself)

It’s done. Now, let’s see if it works.

He starts the Docker daemon, and then runs the package. The Docker daemon is destroyed.

EELCO

(to himself)

Yes! It works!

He hears the sound of footsteps coming down the hall. He knows he is going to be caught.

EELCO

(to himself)

At least I went out with a bang.

The door bursts open, and the guards come in. They drag Eelco away.

FADE OUT

Created with GPT-3 at nix.camp.
Starting prompt:

Write a science fiction movie script, starring protagonist Eelco Dolstra. Eelco Dolstra is the creator of the open source Nix package manager, which has caused great joy in the world. Nix is replacing Docker.

Some parts were regenerated and the following text was inserted.

Inside the building,

AT NIGHT

He looks around to see if the guards are still there. He creates a new file: destroy-docker.nix

14 Likes

Now feed every line to Stable Diffusion and generate a storyboard :smiley:

5 Likes

I would include a reference to the dreadful Trusting Trust.

1 Like