Electron complaining it is EOL - but what is requiring it?

I just tried a home-manager switch -- flake . but I got an error about Electron being EOL’ed. The problem is that I don’t explicitly install it, and I don’t know what is requiring it.

How can I solve this problem?

Here is the error output:

error:
       … while calling the 'derivationStrict' builtin

at /builtin/derivation.nix:9:12: (source not available)

… while evaluating derivation 'home-manager-generation'
         whose name attribute is located at /nix/store/z1nvpjx9vd4151vx2krxzmx2p1a36pf9-source/pkgs/stdenv/generic/make-derivation.nix:300:7

… while evaluating attribute 'buildCommand' of derivation 'home-manager-generation'

at /nix/store/z1nvpjx9vd4151vx2krxzmx2p1a36pf9-source/pkgs/build-support/trivial-builders/default.nix:87:14:

86|       enableParallelBuilding = true;
           87|       inherit buildCommand name;
             |              ^
           88|       passAsFile = [ "buildCommand" ]

(stack trace truncated; use '--show-trace' to show the full trace)

error: Package ‘electron-22.3.27’ in /nix/store/z1nvpjx9vd4151vx2krxzmx2p1a36pf9-source/pkgs/development/tools/electron/binary/generic.nix:35 is marked as insecure, refusing to evaluate.

Known issues:
        - Electron version 22.3.27 is EOL

You can install it anyway by allowing this package, using the
       following methods:

a) To temporarily allow all insecure packages, you can use an environment
          variable for a single invocation of the nix tools:

$ export NIXPKGS_ALLOW_INSECURE=1

Note: For `nix shell`, `nix build`, `nix develop` or any other Nix 2.4+
        (Flake) command, `--impure` must be passed in order to read this
        environment variable.

b) for `nixos-rebuild` you can add ‘electron-22.3.27’ to
          `nixpkgs.config.permittedInsecurePackages` in the configuration.nix,
          like so:

{
              nixpkgs.config.permittedInsecurePackages = [
                "electron-22.3.27"
              ];
            }

c) For `nix-env`, `nix-build`, `nix-shell` or any other Nix command you can add
          ‘electron-22.3.27’ to `permittedInsecurePackages` in
          ~/.config/nixpkgs/config.nix, like so:

{
              permittedInsecurePackages = [
                "electron-22.3.27"
              ];
            }
~
4 Likes

As mentioned in the error message, --show-trace will show a longer stack trace, and you should be able to find the name of the derivation which depends on electron in there.

3 Likes

I have the same problem. For me it is obsidian notes that requires electron. Will this be resolved by the maintainer in a few days or should I do something myself long-term?

While not ideal, remove any app using electron update and then re-add them to your config.
Basically, in your older derivation, one of the apps is depending on the old version of the dependency and bails before pulling the new dependency.

This resolved the issue for me.

Unfortunately this did not solve the problem for me. I still get

error: Package ‘electron-24.8.6’ in /nix/store/z707kdjl26j97153sc62szg61sz5ki34-nixos-23.05/nixos/pkgs/develo
pment/tools/electron/binary/generic.nix:27 is marked as insecure, refusing to evaluate.

What I did was

1. remove obsidian from environment.systemPackages
  2. nixos-rebuild --switch
  3. nix-channel --update
  4. nixos-rebuild --switch
  5. add obsidian to environment.systemPackages
  6. nixos-rebuild --switch (this failed with above error)

That’s not how nix works.

The issue here is that the version in stable (23.05) uses the old and unsupported electron version, whereas unstable has the updated version.

There are a few options:

1. run obsidian from unstable but keep your system on stable
  2. update the system to unstable
  3. wait for 23.11
  4. get one of the maintainers to backport the change to 23.05. I don’t know what the impact of that is (I don’t have any experience with electron applications).
6 Likes

I am still new to NixOS. What is the most canonical and “safe” way to run unstable obsidian? Would be happy for some pointers.

1 Like

Simply use the unstable channel.

Despite its name, it’s not unsafe to use. Unstable refers to major package versions and NixOS options API changes; they may change at any time rather than at fixed times. Like Arch vs. Fedora.

You may sometimes get breaking changes that actually break your setup for a few days but that’s honestly not a big issue with NixOS.

You may also just want obsidian from unstable if you don’t want to deal with the occasional API break, I have a long-form answer on how to do that here: Installing multiple packages from unstable channel in configuration.nix - #2 by TLATER

Wonder if a tutorial for this would be appropriate on nix.dev

3 Likes

Running stuff from different releases usually breaks when running GUI apps as those often rely one of the last remaining impurities in Nixpkgs: The graphics driver.

It should not be recommended to users without mentioning that major caveat.

5 Likes

I would be very curious of what other systems apps are installed.
Obsidian probably isn’t the only app that has the dependency.

Some other examples that might no come to mind immediately:
Slack/Discord/VScode/Bitwardon/1Password … I’m sure there are more
but these are some that I can think of off the top of my head.

Would be interested to learn how to trace what the is using the version as a dependacy.

2 Likes

I added obsidian from unstable and this resolved the issue. Took me some time to get all the expressions correctly and on switch it looked like around 100 new packages were installed (dependencies from unstable?) but it works now. Will probably remove it again after 23.11 is out.

It’s a bummer though that stuff just breaks (electron is declared unsafe and dependent packages are not fixed) although you stay on stable.

Thank you for reading my blog.

2 Likes

We try to keep breakage like this as minimal as possible by removing things that will stop being maintained before release but the real world isn’t always plannable like that. Sometimes security issues crop up during a release and aren’t fixed. We can’t do much against that.

If you don’t care about the security issue, you could have just allowed the package like the first error message told you.

1 Like

Flake system here, having the same issue due to Heroic launcher.

For some reason, following b) and adding the right electron version to nixpkgs.config.permittedInsecurePackages is having no effect, although it worked previously for installing balena etcher.

a) doesn’t work either, and c is N/A.

Do note that a) will only work with --impure. nixos-rebuild is supposed to forward that to nix build & co. Flake-based nix commands by default do not allow anything to touch env vars, so there would be no way for the nixpkgs eval to read that variable without impure.

Are you using the same pkgs as the one from your module args? nixpkgs.config only applies to that one, things passed in through flake inputs or other alternate ways will not have those options applied.

2 Likes

I see, that makes sense. The config needs to be set under the overlay since that’s how I’m mixing stable and unstable. Thank you very much!

For me, the offending application was Freetube. This is what I did to solve the issue:

"electron-22.3.27" # for freetube 0.19.0
  ];
1 Like

For me this error shows:

[chococandy@nixpie:~]$ sudo nixos-rebuild switch --upgrade --show-trace
[sudo] password for chococandy:
unpacking channels...
building Nix...
building the system configuration...
error:
       … while evaluating the attribute 'activationScript' of the derivation 'nixos-system-nixpie-23.05.4860.9fb122519e9c'

at /nix/store/0dqd3hsxn8fryqy96al9mc8wm8qw6l08-nixos-23.05/nixos/pkgs/stdenv/generic/make-derivation.nix:303:7:

302|     // (lib.optionalAttrs (attrs ? name || (attrs ? pname && attrs ? version)) {
          303|       name =
             |       ^
          304|         let

… while evaluating the attribute 'system.activationScripts.script'

at /nix/var/nix/profiles/per-user/root/channels/nixos/nixos/modules/system/activation/activation-script.nix:137:9:

136|       apply = set: set // {
          137|         script = systemActivationScript set false;
             |         ^
          138|       };

… while evaluating call site

at /nix/var/nix/profiles/per-user/root/channels/nixos/nixos/modules/system/activation/activation-script.nix:137:18:

136|       apply = set: set // {
          137|         script = systemActivationScript set false;
             |                  ^
          138|       };

… while calling 'systemActivationScript'

at /nix/var/nix/profiles/per-user/root/channels/nixos/nixos/modules/system/activation/activation-script.nix:20:33:

19|
           20|   systemActivationScript = set: onlyDry: let
             |                                 ^
           21|     set' = mapAttrs (_: v: if isString v then (noDepEntry v) // { supportsDryActivation = false; } else v) set;

at /nix/var/nix/profiles/per-user/root/channels/nixos/nixos/modules/system/activation/activation-script.nix:49:9:

48|
           49|       ${textClosureMap id (withDrySnippets) (attrNames withDrySnippets)}
             |         ^
           50|

… while calling 'textClosureMap'

at /nix/var/nix/profiles/per-user/root/channels/nixos/lib/strings-with-deps.nix:75:35:

74|
           75|   textClosureMap = f: predefined: names:
             |                                   ^
           76|     concatStringsSep "\n" (map f (textClosureList predefined names));

at «none»:0: (source not available)

… while calling 'id'

at /nix/var/nix/profiles/per-user/root/channels/nixos/lib/trivial.nix:14:5:

13|     # The value to return
           14|     x: x;
             |     ^
           15|

… while evaluating the attribute 'text'

at /nix/var/nix/profiles/per-user/root/channels/nixos/nixos/modules/system/activation/activation-script.nix:9:5:

8|   addAttributeName = mapAttrs (a: v: v // {
            9|     text = ''
             |     ^
           10|       #### Activation script snippet ${a}:

… while calling 'g'

at /nix/var/nix/profiles/per-user/root/channels/nixos/lib/attrsets.nix:595:19:

594|           g =
          595|             name: value:
             |                   ^
          596|             if isAttrs value && cond value

at /nix/var/nix/profiles/per-user/root/channels/nixos/lib/attrsets.nix:598:20:

597|               then recurse (path ++ [name]) value
          598|               else f (path ++ [name]) value;
             |                    ^
          599|         in mapAttrs g;

… while calling anonymous lambda

at /nix/var/nix/profiles/per-user/root/channels/nixos/lib/modules.nix:248:72:

247|           # For definitions that have an associated option
          248|           declaredConfig = mapAttrsRecursiveCond (v: ! isOption v) (_: v: v.value) options;
             |                                                                        ^
          249|

… while evaluating the attribute 'value'

at /nix/var/nix/profiles/per-user/root/channels/nixos/lib/modules.nix:759:9:

758|     in warnDeprecation opt //
          759|       { value = builtins.addErrorContext "while evaluating the option `${showOption loc}':" value;
             |         ^
          760|         inherit (res.defsFinal') highestPrio;

… while evaluating the option `system.activationScripts.etc.text':

… while evaluating the attribute 'mergedValue'

at /nix/var/nix/profiles/per-user/root/channels/nixos/lib/modules.nix:794:5:

793|     # Type-check the remaining definitions, and merge them. Or throw if no definitions.
          794|     mergedValue =
             |     ^
          795|       if isDefined then

… while evaluating the attribute 'values'

at /nix/var/nix/profiles/per-user/root/channels/nixos/lib/modules.nix:788:9:

787|       in {
          788|         values = defs''';
             |         ^
          789|         inherit (defs'') highestPrio;

at /nix/var/nix/profiles/per-user/root/channels/nixos/lib/modules.nix:887:7:

886|     in {
          887|       values = concatMap (def: if getPrio def == highestPrio then [(strip def)] else []) defs;
             |       ^
          888|       inherit highestPrio;

at /nix/var/nix/profiles/per-user/root/channels/nixos/lib/modules.nix:774:17:

773|         # Process mkMerge and mkIf properties.
          774|         defs' = concatMap (m:
             |                 ^
          775|           map (value: { inherit (m) file; inherit value; }) (builtins.addErrorContext "while evaluating definitions from `${m.file}':" (dischargeProperties m.value))

at /nix/var/nix/profiles/per-user/root/channels/nixos/lib/modules.nix:774:28:

|                            ^
          775|           map (value: { inherit (m) file; inherit value; }) (builtins.addErrorContext "while evaluating definitions from `${m.file}':" (dischargeProperties m.value))

… while evaluating definitions from `/nix/var/nix/profiles/per-user/root/channels/nixos/nixos/modules/system/etc/etc-activation.nix':

at /nix/var/nix/profiles/per-user/root/channels/nixos/lib/modules.nix:775:137:

|                                                                                                                                         ^
          776|         ) defs;

… while calling 'dischargeProperties'

at /nix/var/nix/profiles/per-user/root/channels/nixos/lib/modules.nix:846:25:

845|   */
          846|   dischargeProperties = def:
             |                         ^
          847|     if def._type or "" == "merge" then

at /nix/var/nix/profiles/per-user/root/channels/nixos/lib/modules.nix:599:44:

598|       defnsByName' = byName "config" (module: value:
          599|           [{ inherit (module) file; inherit value; }]
             |                                            ^
          600|         ) configs;

at /nix/var/nix/profiles/per-user/root/channels/nixos/lib/attrsets.nix:812:24:

811|     let f = attrPath:
          812|       zipAttrsWith (n: values:
             |                        ^
          813|         let here = attrPath ++ [n]; in

at /nix/var/nix/profiles/per-user/root/channels/nixos/lib/types.nix:563:29:

562|       merge = loc: defs:
          563|         zipAttrsWith (name: defs:
             |                             ^
          564|           let merged = mergeDefinitions (loc ++ [name]) elemType defs;

… while evaluating the attribute 'optionalValue.value'

at /nix/var/nix/profiles/per-user/root/channels/nixos/lib/modules.nix:806:5:

805|
          806|     optionalValue =
             |     ^
          807|       if isDefined then { value = mergedValue; }

at /nix/var/nix/profiles/per-user/root/channels/nixos/lib/modules.nix:788:9:

787|       in {
          788|         values = defs''';
             |         ^
          789|         inherit (defs'') highestPrio;

at /nix/var/nix/profiles/per-user/root/channels/nixos/lib/modules.nix:887:7:

886|     in {
          887|       values = concatMap (def: if getPrio def == highestPrio then [(strip def)] else []) defs;
             |       ^
          888|       inherit highestPrio;

at /nix/var/nix/profiles/per-user/root/channels/nixos/lib/modules.nix:774:17:

|                 ^

at /nix/var/nix/profiles/per-user/root/channels/nixos/lib/modules.nix:774:28:

|                            ^

… while evaluating definitions from `/nix/var/nix/profiles/per-user/root/channels/nixos/nixos/modules/system/etc/etc.nix':

at /nix/var/nix/profiles/per-user/root/channels/nixos/lib/modules.nix:775:137:

|                                                                                                                                         ^
          776|         ) defs;

… while calling 'dischargeProperties'

at /nix/var/nix/profiles/per-user/root/channels/nixos/lib/modules.nix:846:25:

845|   */
          846|   dischargeProperties = def:
             |                         ^
          847|     if def._type or "" == "merge" then

at /nix/var/nix/profiles/per-user/root/channels/nixos/lib/types.nix:569:58:

568|         # Push down position info.
          569|         (map (def: mapAttrs (n: v: { inherit (def) file; value = v; }) def.value) defs);
             |                                                          ^
          570|       emptyValue = { value = {}; };

at /nix/var/nix/profiles/per-user/root/channels/nixos/lib/attrsets.nix:88:39:

87|         then value
           88|         else { ${elemAt attrPath n} = atDepth (n + 1); };
             |                                       ^
           89|     in atDepth 0;

… while calling 'atDepth'

at /nix/var/nix/profiles/per-user/root/channels/nixos/lib/attrsets.nix:85:17:

84|       len = length attrPath;
           85|       atDepth = n:
             |                 ^
           86|         if n == len

at /nix/var/nix/profiles/per-user/root/channels/nixos/lib/modules.nix:599:44:

598|       defnsByName' = byName "config" (module: value:
          599|           [{ inherit (module) file; inherit value; }]
             |                                            ^
          600|         ) configs;

… while evaluating the attribute 'buildCommand' of the derivation 'etc'

at /nix/store/0dqd3hsxn8fryqy96al9mc8wm8qw6l08-nixos-23.05/nixos/pkgs/stdenv/generic/make-derivation.nix:303:7:

302|     // (lib.optionalAttrs (attrs ? name || (attrs ? pname && attrs ? version)) {
          303|       name =
             |       ^
          304|         let

at /nix/var/nix/profiles/per-user/root/channels/nixos/nixos/modules/system/etc/etc.nix:54:7:

53|     mkdir -p "$out/etc"
           54|     ${concatMapStringsSep "\n" (etcEntry: escapeShellArgs [
             |       ^
           55|       "makeEtcEntry"

… while calling 'concatMapStringsSep'

at /nix/var/nix/profiles/per-user/root/channels/nixos/lib/strings.nix:116:5:

115|     # List of input strings
          116|     list: concatStringsSep sep (map f list);
             |     ^
          117|

at /nix/var/nix/profiles/per-user/root/channels/nixos/nixos/modules/system/etc/etc.nix:54:33:

|                                 ^
           55|       "makeEtcEntry"

at /nix/var/nix/profiles/per-user/root/channels/nixos/nixos/modules/system/etc/etc.nix:54:43:

|                                           ^
           55|       "makeEtcEntry"

… while calling 'concatMapStringsSep'

at /nix/var/nix/profiles/per-user/root/channels/nixos/lib/strings.nix:116:5:

115|     # List of input strings
          116|     list: concatStringsSep sep (map f list);
             |     ^
          117|

… while calling 'escapeShellArg'

at /nix/var/nix/profiles/per-user/root/channels/nixos/lib/strings.nix:427:20:

426|   */
          427|   escapeShellArg = arg: "'${replaceStrings ["'"] ["'\\''"] (toString arg)}'";
             |                    ^
          428|

… while calling 'g'

at /nix/var/nix/profiles/per-user/root/channels/nixos/lib/attrsets.nix:595:19:

594|           g =
          595|             name: value:
             |                   ^
          596|             if isAttrs value && cond value

at /nix/var/nix/profiles/per-user/root/channels/nixos/lib/attrsets.nix:598:20:

597|               then recurse (path ++ [name]) value
          598|               else f (path ++ [name]) value;
             |                    ^
          599|         in mapAttrs g;

at /nix/var/nix/profiles/per-user/root/channels/nixos/lib/modules.nix:248:72:

247|           # For definitions that have an associated option
          248|           declaredConfig = mapAttrsRecursiveCond (v: ! isOption v) (_: v: v.value) options;
             |                                                                        ^
          249|

at /nix/var/nix/profiles/per-user/root/channels/nixos/lib/modules.nix:759:9:

758|     in warnDeprecation opt //
          759|       { value = builtins.addErrorContext "while evaluating the option `${showOption loc}':" value;
             |         ^
          760|         inherit (res.defsFinal') highestPrio;

… while evaluating the option `environment.etc.dbus-1.source':

… while evaluating the attribute 'mergedValue'

at /nix/var/nix/profiles/per-user/root/channels/nixos/lib/modules.nix:794:5:

793|     # Type-check the remaining definitions, and merge them. Or throw if no definitions.
          794|     mergedValue =
             |     ^

at /nix/var/nix/profiles/per-user/root/channels/nixos/lib/modules.nix:796:12:

796|         if all (def: type.check def.value) defsFinal then type.merge loc defsFinal
             |            ^
          797|         else let allInvalid = filter (def: ! type.check def.value) defsFinal;

at /nix/var/nix/profiles/per-user/root/channels/nixos/lib/modules.nix:796:17:

796|         if all (def: type.check def.value) defsFinal then type.merge loc defsFinal
             |                 ^
          797|         else let allInvalid = filter (def: ! type.check def.value) defsFinal;

at /nix/var/nix/profiles/per-user/root/channels/nixos/lib/modules.nix:796:22:

|                      ^

… while calling 'check'

at /nix/var/nix/profiles/per-user/root/channels/nixos/lib/types.nix:491:15:

490|       descriptionClass = "noun";
          491|       check = x: isStringLike x && builtins.substring 0 1 (toString x) == "/";
             |               ^
          492|       merge = mergeEqualOption;

… while evaluating the attribute 'serviceDirectories' of the derivation 'dbus-1'

303|       name =
             |       ^
          304|         let

at /nix/var/nix/profiles/per-user/root/channels/nixos/lib/types.nix:509:14:

508|       merge = loc: defs:
          509|         map (x: x.value) (filter (x: x ? value) (concatLists (imap1 (n: def:
             |              ^
          510|           imap1 (m: def':

at /nix/var/nix/profiles/per-user/root/channels/nixos/lib/modules.nix:807:27:

806|     optionalValue =
          807|       if isDefined then { value = mergedValue; }
             |                           ^
          808|       else {};

at /nix/var/nix/profiles/per-user/root/channels/nixos/lib/modules.nix:796:12:

|            ^

at /nix/var/nix/profiles/per-user/root/channels/nixos/lib/modules.nix:796:17:

|                 ^

at /nix/var/nix/profiles/per-user/root/channels/nixos/lib/modules.nix:796:22:

|                      ^

… while calling 'check'

at /nix/var/nix/profiles/per-user/root/channels/nixos/lib/types.nix:491:15:

490|       descriptionClass = "noun";
          491|       check = x: isStringLike x && builtins.substring 0 1 (toString x) == "/";
             |               ^
          492|       merge = mergeEqualOption;

… while evaluating the attribute 'passAsFile' of the derivation 'system-path'

303|       name =
             |       ^
          304|         let

… while evaluating the attribute 'passAsFile'

at /nix/store/0dqd3hsxn8fryqy96al9mc8wm8qw6l08-nixos-23.05/nixos/pkgs/build-support/buildenv/default.nix:77:5:

76|     # XXX: The size is somewhat arbitrary
           77|     passAsFile = if builtins.stringLength pkgs >= 128*1024 then [ "pkgs" ] else [ ];
             |     ^
           78|   }

… while evaluating the attribute 'installPhase' of the derivation 'obsidian-1.2.8'

303|       name =
             |       ^
          304|         let

… while evaluating the attribute 'handled'

at /nix/store/0dqd3hsxn8fryqy96al9mc8wm8qw6l08-nixos-23.05/nixos/pkgs/stdenv/generic/check-meta.nix:447:7:

446|       # or, alternatively, just output a warning message.
          447|       handled =
             |       ^
          448|         {

… while evaluating the attribute 'no'

at /nix/store/0dqd3hsxn8fryqy96al9mc8wm8qw6l08-nixos-23.05/nixos/pkgs/stdenv/generic/check-meta.nix:449:11:

448|         {
          449|           no = handleEvalIssue { inherit meta attrs; } { inherit (validity) reason errormsg; };
             |           ^
          450|           warn = handleEvalWarning { inherit meta attrs; } { inherit (validity) reason errormsg; };

at /nix/store/0dqd3hsxn8fryqy96al9mc8wm8qw6l08-nixos-23.05/nixos/pkgs/stdenv/generic/check-meta.nix:449:16:

448|         {
          449|           no = handleEvalIssue { inherit meta attrs; } { inherit (validity) reason errormsg; };
             |                ^
          450|           warn = handleEvalWarning { inherit meta attrs; } { inherit (validity) reason errormsg; };

… while calling 'handleEvalIssue'

at /nix/store/0dqd3hsxn8fryqy96al9mc8wm8qw6l08-nixos-23.05/nixos/pkgs/stdenv/generic/check-meta.nix:226:38:

225|
          226|   handleEvalIssue = { meta, attrs }: { reason , errormsg ? "" }:
             |                                      ^
          227|     let

error: Package ‘electron-24.8.6’ in /nix/store/0dqd3hsxn8fryqy96al9mc8wm8qw6l08-nixos-23.05/nixos/pkgs/development/tools/electron/binary/generic.nix:27 is marked as insecure, refusing to evaluate.

Known issues:
        - Electron version 24.8.6 is EOL

You can install it anyway by allowing this package, using the
       following methods:

a) To temporarily allow all insecure packages, you can use an environment
          variable for a single invocation of the nix tools:

$ export NIXPKGS_ALLOW_INSECURE=1

Note: For `nix shell`, `nix build`, `nix develop` or any other Nix 2.4+
        (Flake) command, `--impure` must be passed in order to read this
        environment variable.

b) for `nixos-rebuild` you can add ‘electron-24.8.6’ to
          `nixpkgs.config.permittedInsecurePackages` in the configuration.nix,
          like so:

{
                "electron-24.8.6"
              ];
            }

c) For `nix-env`, `nix-build`, `nix-shell` or any other Nix command you can add
          ‘electron-24.8.6’ to `permittedInsecurePackages` in
          ~/.config/nixpkgs/config.nix, like so:

{
              permittedInsecurePackages = [
                "electron-24.8.6"
              ];
            }

Solution b) to add nixpkgs.config.permittedInsecurePackages in the configuration.nix worked !!