GDM monitor configuration

Hello,

Since /run/gdm is created from a blank slate on restart of the system, how could I make a local tweak so that GDM uses the same monitor configuration (scale and monitor arrangement, I have multiple monitors) as my user account?

On other Linux distributions, I would have done it by manually copying ~/.config/monitors.xml to the GDM home folder (/run/gdm on nixOS), but that obviously is a bit ugly and frowned upon.

I tried to see how I could override attributes on gdm.nix with overlays and overrideAttrs, but I was not successful (I wanted to add an environment.etc.“gdm/monitors.xml” block to dump my local monitors configuration into.

How can I make the least amount of changes (happy to create a little GDM fork), and get a nice 200% scale on GDM login screen as well as the right monitors being primary?

Ideally this would be exposed via some settings of the GDM module rather than hacks.

Thanks!

Hey oberstal,

I ran into this myself after getting frustrated with GDM always trying to display on the TV I have plugged in (which is usually off) rather than my main monitor. Digging around in gdm.nix I noticed there is already a pulseaudio config being symlinked into /run/gdm using systemd.tmpfiles.rules and figured that pattern would work for monitors.xml as well.

Here’s what I have in my configuration.nix and it seems to be working well:

systemd.tmpfiles.rules = [
    "L+ /run/gdm/.config/monitors.xml - - - - ${pkgs.writeText "gdm-monitors.xml" ''
      <!-- this should all be copied from your ~/.config/monitors.xml -->
      <monitors version="2">
        <configuration>
            <!-- REDACTED -->
        </configuration>
      </monitors>
    ''}"
  ];

Here is where the tmpfiles are set up in gdm.nix, if you’re curious: https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/blob/cd63096d6d887d689543a0b97743d28995bc9bc3/nixos/modules/services/x11/display-managers/gdm.nix#L152-L160

Update: I opened a nixpkgs PR to add a services.xserver.displayManager.gdm.monitorsConfig option for this.

1 Like

I faced the same issue. However rather than having two different config one at system level and another one at user level, I wanted the user level monitors.xml to drive the settings. For that reason I ended up reading the user level monitors.xml as in the configuration.nix file as show below:

{  config, pkgs, ... }: 

let

monitorsXmlContent = builtins.readFile /home/REPALCE_WITH_USERNAME/.config/monitors.xml;
  monitorsConfig = pkgs.writeText "gdm_monitors.xml" monitorsXmlContent;
in

followed by

systemd.tmpfiles.rules = [
    "L+ /run/gdm/.config/monitors.xml - - - - ${monitorsConfig}"
  ];