Get all characters working with Starship in GNOME Terminal

I am using Starship in GNOME Terminal (which is the default terminal, isn’t it?)

My prompt outputs non-found unicode characters:

I was expecting that in the default setting of GNOME Terminal / Starship on NixOS, it would work.

I chose an explicit font (e.g., Liberation Mono), but still missing characters:

What can I do to get it working? Is it a Starship issue?

I think you might want to install the nerd font symbol as suggested in Presets | Starship , more precisely the FiraCode nerd font Nerd Fonts - Iconic font aggregator, glyphs/icons collection, & fonts patcher I guess you can get it on NixOs with:

fonts.fonts = with pkgs; [
  fira-code-nerdfont
];
1 Like

Alternatively, if you want to use a font that isn’t pre-built by the nerd-font team, you can use the nerd-font-patcher to patch any font with the symbols you need.

My flake GitHub - Lyndeno/apple-fonts.nix: Nix flake to easily install Apple fonts from their website. uses the nerd-font-patcher to provide the Apple fonts with the nerd symbols installed. For reference.

1 Like

Thank you for the hint.

Think, I need to reboot the machine:

After reboot

OK, Firefox also does not work - but this is a side issue, but might help me to trace the issue down:

OK, I pasted the Firefox characters into emacs (and then into the Terminal): Works.

Only “🅶” U+1F176 Negative Squared Latin Capital Letter G Unicode Character is left. Not rendering anywhere.

Test: 🅶

Ah, it is the symbol for gradle:

"gradle": {
  "default": {
    "detect_extensions": [
      "gradle",
      "gradle.kts"
    ],
    "detect_files": [],
    "detect_folders": [
      "gradle"
    ],
    "disabled": false,
    "format": "via [$symbol($version )]($style)",
    "recursive": false,
    "style": "bold bright-cyan",
    "symbol": "🅶 ",
    "version_format": "v${raw}"
  },
  "allOf": [
    {
      "$ref": "#/definitions/GradleConfig"
    }
  ]
},

Think, starship uses the wrong symbol there.

Submitted a proposal to starship to use a different icon: Change gradle icon from G to  by koppor · Pull Request #5724 · starship/starship · GitHub

Local fix: In home.nix:

programs.starship = {
    settings = {
      gradle.symbol = " ";	
    };
  };

Additionally (Thanks to the hints here)

fonts.fontconfig.enable = true;

home.packages = with pkgs; [
    (pkgs.nerdfonts.override { fonts = [ "FiraCode" "DroidSansMono" ]; })

Have you tried to change the default font in Gnome console?

Sure. Gnome Terminal instantly switches the font:

When a font is installed and no restart is made, the output is bad. See the screenshot above.

I have the impression that a “nixos-rebuild switch” overwrites the default gnome terminal configuration?

Ahhh, all inverted characters do not work. Now, I do have “🅺” U+1F17A Negative Squared Latin Capital Letter K Unicode Character .