GNS3 setcap and ubridge. GNS3 unable to execute setcap command

Hi all!

I would like to ask about your help with the ubridge package.

I’m unable to run command:

sudo setcap cap_net_admin,cap_net_raw=ep /run/current-system/sw/bin/ubridge

and it result in this output:

Failed to set capabilities on file `/run/current-system/sw/bin/ubridge’ (Invalid argument)

As this command pop up after starting the gns3. (GNS3 is a network emulator)
I’m not sure how to proceed with the investigation.
I had found in documentation that ubridge requires from user to be in the ubridge group
however, adding the user to this group in configuration.nix extraGroups do nothing.
(And even I’m not sure if it’s related…)

Is there a possibility that i need to create a sole config for this command / setting?

1 Like

Hi,

I have used below security wrappers configuration, and then edited the file ~/.config/GNS3/2.2/gns3_server.conf

The ubridge path needs to be changed to ubridge_path = /run/wrappers/bin/ubridge

security.wrappers.ubridge = {
source = “/run/current-system/sw/bin/ubridge”;
capabilities = “cap_net_admin,cap_net_raw=ep”;
owner = “root”;
group = “ubridge”;
permissions = “u+rx,g+x”;
};

Now I am able to run GNS3

1 Like

Hmm when running this I get an error, as my system does not have the group ubridge defined. Even after installing the ubridge package.

apr   26 14:23:57 hostname systemd[1]: Starting Create SUID/SGID Wrappers...
apr   26 14:23:58 hostname suid-sgid-wrappers-start[73662]: chown: invalid group: ‘root:ubridge’
apr   26 14:23:58 hostname systemd[1]: suid-sgid-wrappers.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
apr   26 14:23:58 hostname systemd[1]: suid-sgid-wrappers.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
apr   26 14:23:58 hostname systemd[1]: Failed to start Create SUID/SGID Wrappers.
warning: error(s) occurred while switching to the new configuration

You need to set users.groups.ubridge = {} and users.users.<YOUR USER>.extraGroups = [ "ubridge" ]

Note, if extraGroups is already set, just add "ubridge" to it

1 Like

In the end I needed to modify the permissions to be for my PATH to accept it to be usable.

permissions = "u+rx,g+rx,o+rx";