I’m a college student and moderately-experienced Nixpkgs contributor looking at possible doing Google’s Summer of Code this summer, and I’d love to work on something Nix-related. It looks like Nix didn’t get registered as a mentor organization this year, but the Linux Foundation seems willing to mentor on behalf of organizations that missed the deadline, so I figured I’d bring this up and ask if there’s interest.
Below are some various ideas I’ve been interested in working on. I’m also very open to ideas not listed here!
- Improving the NixOS installation/new-user experience
- Putting together a graphical installer, maybe based on Calamares?
- Getting nixpart up and running and merged into nixpkgs?
- Building a way to programmatically read and modify NixOS configuration, for use by an installer or GUI configuration tools?
- Improving language packaging
- Building Node.js packages from source instead of downloading pre-compiled packages from NPM?
- Moving Nixpkgs over to one of the newer solutions for building Rust crates?
- Experimenting with alternative toolchains
- Gathering and centrally collecting statistics from Nix builds (time? memory usage? disk usage?) to provide better time estimates and warning if there are insufficient resources for a build?
- Running nix-packaged software on AWS Lambda (where, AIUI, we don’t have root and therefore we’d need some sort of chroot or container to write to /nix), and using Lambda as an infinitely-scalable remote builder?
I’d also love to hear from any other GSoC mentoring organizations interested in Nix-related work (or, for that matter, any companies using Nix looking for a summer intern).