Help adding a CA certificate with security.pki.certificateFiles

I’ve read through previous topics on this subject, but I’m still having problems:

In my configuration.nix file, I have added this line:

security.pki.certificateFiles = ["${pkgs.cacert}/etc/ssl/certs/ca-bundle.crt" "/etc/ssl/certs/mycert.pem"];

After that I run “nixos-rebuild switch”, and my understanding is that is supposed to concatenate all the certificates into /etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt according to the options description: NixOS Search

However, it does not add my certificate to that file, and using nix-env -i in a way that will need the cert fails with a certificate/SSL error.

Is there some other command I need to run to get the concatenation to happen? Do I need any other lines in configuration.nix to enable cacert or the security module?

https://stop-using-nix-env.privatevoid.net/

The final bundle is created by passing your certificate files to the cacert package, which then bundles them using buildcatrust.

I’m unsure why they don’t end up in the final result for you, or at least create an error. Are you sure /etc/ssl/certs/mycert.pem isn’t an empty file?

I’m pretty sure the ca-bundle.cert from that package is superfluous as well, since it’s just referring to the package itself.

I’d also suggest not putting that in /etc/ssl/certs. Put the file next to your nixos configuration file and simply include it with:

security.pki.certificateFiles = [
  ./mycert.pem
];

Otherwise you won’t be able to build your system reproducibly.

That said, while that’s better style, I don’t think it will fix the problem you’re looking at, unless bundling with an already bundled bundle results in unexpected behavior.

I’m a bit of a broken record, but a good 50% of newcomer issues with nix are caused by nix-env masking stuff, did you ever try to install ca certificates with nix-env?

1 Like

Thanks, I verified it’s not an empty file, and I changed the path. That option needs a full path, not “./” so I had to use the full path, but otherwise moving the file has the same result.

I also removed ca-bundle.crt from the list but with the same result.

It’s worth nothing that nixos-rebuild switch also gives the SSL error if it needs to install a package, it’s not just nix-env.

Thanks

Hrmm, resolving a literal, non-string path with ./ should resolve the absolute path, so that should work: https://nixos.org/manual/nix/stable/language/values.html#type-path

Writing an absolute path in there will still make your configuration non-reproducible if it ever is in a different directory.

Apparently when I last needed to do this certificateFiles didn’t exist, so I used builtins.readFile here: https://github.com/TLATER/dotfiles/blob/4b8a5c480ef22d086de399d093e8578a57b5b24e/nixos-config/ct-lt-02052/default.nix#L87

Mind trying that to see if it works for you? It certainly does on my end; Perhaps there’s a bug in the cert bundler specific to the -Files variant of the option.

Are you perhaps trying to add a self-signed certificate? Note that security.pki.certificateFiles expects CA, not server certificates.

If it can be of help, here’s a test that checks a custom CA in a few browsers. You can see the result that shows it’s working as expected.

3 Likes

Here is the certificate, it is a root cert:

-----BEGIN CERTIFICATE-----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-----END CERTIFICATE----- 

I should be able to grep for a string from that cert in the resulting /etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt file after a nixos-rebuild switch, right?

Ok in wondering why I was getting an error from “./”, I realized I was putting the file paths in quotes and they aren’t meant to be in quotes. I removed the quotes and it works like a charm, thanks!

3 Likes

Thanks, I realized my error was putting the filenames in quotes, thanks!

1 Like