Help with NixOS Installation

Hi everyone,

So I’ve ran into an issue with nixos any time I try to install it. The short intro is: I load into a live usb and use the installer to get a fresh version of nixos on one of my drives. After I restart and try to boot that drive, nothing shows up in the bootloader except an option to restart into the firmware. I’ve attempted solutions of vaguely similar problems online. The first solution is going back into the live usb and attempting to reinstall the bootloader through the console. The process looks like this:

mount /dev/nvme1n1p2 /mnt
mount /dev/nvme1n1p1 /mnt/boot

nixos-enter
NIXOS_INSTALL_BOOTLOADER=1 /nix/var/nix/profiles/system/bin/switch-to-configuration boot

Every time I do this, however, I get an error message saying “Failed to create EFI Boot variable entry: No space left on device”. The solution to this seems to be running the garbage collection command. This does seem to do something, though running the install bootloader command again gives me the same error message. Either by luck or magic or both, I’ve been able to get into nixos on my drive after this process before. However, it doesn’t work every time.

I love using and learning more about nixos, but I’m getting really sick of running into issues like this. Can someone please explain to me why this is happening and what is the ‘better’ way to install my nixos? I will also have a follow up question once this is resolved. Thank you!