Home Assistant: Integrations losing support for YAML

I’ve been running a NixOS configured Home-Assistant instance for quite a while now and so far I’ve been very satisfied. I have done all my configuration in Nix itself which then generates the YAML configuration files and this has been working wonderfully.

Since a few weeks, I am now seeing warnings akin to “The tasmota integration does not support YAML configuration”. I’ve not noticed any loss in functionality, but I am still worried about this trend and what it means for declarative Home-Assistant environments. The HA crowd seems to be moving towards a stateful UI-configured environment for a while now, but so far the YAML option was always there which no longer seems to be the case.

Is anyone already experiencing actual issues from this? Will I have to look for another home automation solution anytime soon or will there be a need to freeze Home Assistant at some point? It is a bit of a bummer that also the Open Source space around Home Automation seems not much more stable than the proprietary one.

1 Like

On the other end you have certain integrations which only have yaml configurations and very minimal ui feedback.

The only real bummer I have encountered so far is that you need to have an edit dashboard because the edit mode gets disabled in yaml mode. The approach grafana has is way more pleasant. There is you have a configured dashboard and want to save it just greets you with the json representation.

On the other end you have certain integrations which only have yaml configurations and very minimal ui feedback.

Might be true, but in the NixOS context, I don’t mind these since they don’t pose an issue.

We have no influence on what Home Assistant does or doesn’t do. They want their project to be more end-user friendly, so things are moving into the frontend.

I think the outcome of this change for us is, that you have to treat /var/lib/hass as state and include it in your backup.