Home-manager not upgrading

I recently changed my nix-os version to latest stable-version from 23.05 to 23.11 by adding the channel using command nix-channel --add link to channel and nix-channel --update everything worked fine and when i type nixos-version i am getting 23.11.

Now i wanted to upgrade my home manager as well so i added the new home manager channel as well.
but when i am running home-manager switch i am getting this error

building '/nix/store/8c6wwsqamr5km1a97azv75c2zs7ns47m-options.json.drv'...
building '/nix/store/mr53fkz3hzbns3v069fgbmz4afbj340h-options.json.drv'...
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/nix/store/4b5nzglksisqssvhh8xpq2fcv7n6xcc0-docbookify-options-json.py", line 66, in <module>
    class Renderer(mistune.renderers.BaseRenderer):
                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
AttributeError: module 'mistune.renderers' has no attribute 'BaseRenderer'
error: builder for '/nix/store/8c6wwsqamr5km1a97azv75c2zs7ns47m-options.json.drv' failed with exit code 1;
       last 5 log lines:
       > Traceback (most recent call last):
       >   File "/nix/store/4b5nzglksisqssvhh8xpq2fcv7n6xcc0-docbookify-options-json.py", line 66, in <module>
       >     class Renderer(mistune.renderers.BaseRenderer):
       >                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
       > AttributeError: module 'mistune.renderers' has no attribute 'BaseRenderer'
       For full logs, run 'nix log /nix/store/8c6wwsqamr5km1a97azv75c2zs7ns47m-options.json.drv'.
error: 1 dependencies of derivation '/nix/store/58aj6l4ih1gi05jrqgfbi0g158pvkycr-options-db.xml.drv' failed to build
error: 1 dependencies of derivation '/nix/store/5id1gqg86bmprnv8kpmwsb6lrhvdqncm-nmd-documents.drv' failed to build
error: 1 dependencies of derivation '/nix/store/9yq1spb5c6br7r17x7bfd6mpk2aqsxf5-manual-combined.drv' failed to build
error: 1 dependencies of derivation '/nix/store/s4jlfzxaqpy26alkh4m6fv1nwnnfk1my-man-pages.drv' failed to build
error: 1 dependencies of derivation '/nix/store/ybmb1iwa5vqinh8kkvvyv6c24l7hm7b5-home-manager-path.drv' failed to build
error: 1 dependencies of derivation '/nix/store/29vqibnwddadc6qzyc8ap97pb73fmlp4-home-manager-generation.drv' failed to build

i am noob to nix-os still learning i followed all the right steps in the documents but what is the problem ? help

This issue and thread suggest this can be caused by a version mismatch between the nixos and home-manager channels. Can you confirm what channels are added?

sudo nix-channel --list
nix-channel --list
1 Like

Looks like a regular “we break doc rendering all the time” issue to me.

Disable HM man pages, and perhaps HTML docs as well.

Variations of this error happen all the time :frowning:

1 Like

Indeed, when updating the home-manager channel from https://github.com/nix-community/home-manager/archive/release-23.05.tar.gz to 23.11 in parallel with the same NixOS upgrade, the html manual breaks. The man pages seem to be fine. The following line in home-configuration.nix achieves a successful home-manager switch:

manual.html.enable = false;

Thanks a lot for this, I was really stuck trying to upgrade my channel to 23.11,
In the end I had to add this to my home-manager config (I use it as a module), for the upgrade command to work:

manual.manpages.enable = false;