How do I install the very latest kernel from kernel.org?

I’m not sure how I can install 6.8-rc6 from kernel.org

Reading the wiki, I have to pin it?

I’m on 23.11 and I can’t really get on any later kernel than 6.6.8, even though I specify

boot.kernelPackages = pkgs.linuxPackages_latest;
boot.kernelPackages = pkgs.linuxPackages_testing;

This installs the latest available RC.

Currently that will only get you 6.8-rc5, but there’s a PR open to update it to rc6: Linux kernels 2024-02-26 by alyssais · Pull Request #291540 · NixOS/nixpkgs · GitHub

That said, _latest should have been giving you 6.7.x. So it’s weird if you were getting 6.6.8. Are your channels up-to-date?

1 Like

For reference, I am currently on 6.6.17, (unstable, updated today) but running ZFS so that sometimes I fall behind a little. Out of interest, does boot.kernelPackages = pkgs.linuxPackages_testing; conflict with the ZFS packages?

If you’re using ZFS, that’s probably why you were on 6.6, as I do believe it’s not compatible with 6.7. I’ve heard that it’s supposed to be compatible with 6.8. Not sure how those rules are applied and if that affects _testing. I don’t use ZFS on NixOS so I’m not the person to ask there.

ZFS has usually zero chance to be compatible with RC kernels, ZFS is not even compatible with latest kernels sometimes.

1 Like

Often, actually. Even for months at a time.

My recommendation is to use LTS kernels whenever out-of-tree modules are involved.

Agreed. But I tried it anyway - the zfs package for 6.8rc5 is broken.
I suppose my question is how safe is it compared to:
kernelPackages = pkgs.zfs.latestCompatibleLinuxPackages;

At least it looks as though it fails safe in some cases…still getting the hang of NixOS quirks :slight_smile:

I managed to get on 6.8.0-rc5, but now that 6.8.1 is out, is there any way to get that?:wink: