How do you name your hosts?

Cities mostly. In alphabetical order (android style)

also apologies for the double post, posted early and not used to discourse

I am naming my devices (including phones) after the moons of saturn.

I am naming them in the order of appearance in the list given on the german Wikipedia page “list of saturns moons”.

Should I exhaust that list, I will continue with Jupiters and Uranus’ moons. Regardless of how far it will ever go, I will never use the names of Plutos or Earths moons. The latter is just boring, and the former would probably lead to confusion naming my machines nix or hydra :smiley:

PS: This message was written from mimas.

2 Likes

Ships and spaceships from pop culture and mythology.

So far there have been: Nautilus, Enterprise, Heart of Gold, Bebop, Hermes, Childish Tycoon, Serenity, Rocinante. I don’t like to pick up too obvious ones like Millenium Falcon or Black Pearl, so the list is kind of running out. I also use mythical cities for stationary ones, so Meropis and Anostos are the two routers.

I do like the moons of Saturn, and with newfound 64 ones, they’ll probably last me for life :stuck_out_tongue:. I’ll probably go with that on next device.

All my computers names start with cy for cybernetic. I have cybert, cyberty, cynix, cyonic, cydo, probably some old ones I forgot.

1 Like

Haha, my current machine (tethys) is also named after one of the moons of saturn.

laptop for my laptop and desktop for my desktop.

5 Likes

What if you get another laptop or desktop? :wink:

1 Like

Aha, if I have another laptop or desktop, I will add a suffix for laptop and desktop.

2 Likes

my homelab proxmox cluster nodes are named after virtual worlds
oasis, matrix, wonderland, metaverse (now dead, how appropriate), holodeck

2 Likes

I’m using one word-characteristics about the usecase/type of machine + box.

• My laptop was my first skylake machine, so it’s skyboix
  • My desktop has a case with sound dampener, so it’s cottonbox
  • My homeserver is my private cloud - cloudbox
  • My 3D printer controller is printbox.

and so on.

2 Likes

My names are “neo”, “morpheus” etc.

My tailscale is then called “matrix”

I use animals: whale, alligator, hamster, lizard, hawk, ferret.

2 Likes

I use names from the Expanse universe. Places for machines, ships for portable drives.

• My computers/servers are tycho, phoebe, ceres and pallas.
  • My backup server is adro (book 8/9 readers will know).
  • The TV box I got from my provider is deimos (because it’s inevitably bound to break or be destroyed, just like that moon in book 1).

At work we use programming language names, mostly esoteric ones.

2 Likes

My personal machines are named after Dark Side-aligned Star Wars characters/things:

• my desktop is vader and the Windows install on the same machine is stormtrooper
  • I’ve got a raspberry pi in one of those full-metal cooling cases, that I lovingly call hk47 (after the killer droid in KotOR)
  • my old Macbook was i(mperial)Shuttle

:grimacing:

1 Like

As an explanation, In Device Tree Specification, the chassis-type is:

Specifies a string that identifies the form-factor of the system. The property value can be one of:

• “desktop”
  • “laptop”
  • “convertible”
  • “server”
  • “tablet”
  • “handset”
  • “watch”
  • “embedded”

So I choose laptop for my laptop and desktop for my desktop. In fact, I also have a server which hostname is server :smile:

2 Likes

desktops are directors, e.g., godard

laptops are actors, e.g., seberg

servers are editors, e.g., schoonmaker

1 Like

l literally name everything after to famous robots/AI.

if you scroll down on this page, you’ll see a list that i have compiled!

feel free to use them, but don’t blame me if it ‘takes over the world’.

1 Like

SI Units and there derivatives

My repo is named BIPM because of bipm.org and has “International Bureau of Workspaces and Machines” in it’s readme. My internal CA is named calibration because of BIPM certificates

I used to try to be all cute, but then I couldn’t remember what machine was what. Now I name anything I’ve built myself after a Futurama character, but all my laptops are the model name, x1, x260, macbook, etc.

1 Like