How do you name your hosts?

I’m thinking of naming my computers and devices, however I need some ideas.
Currently I am thinking of famous physicians, eg. a host could be called einstein.
Please give your ideas and naming schemes down below!

1 Like

I use names from Greek mythology

3 Likes

https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc1178

7 Likes

I use ugly people names. Not ugly people ugly, but ugly names.

This email is written on “midge” that superseded “mildred”.

3 Likes

Mine are The Elder Scrolls 5 cities

My laptop is riverwood
My pc is whiterun
My cloud vps is ravenrock (because it’s outside skyrim)

1 Like

Moby-Dick characters.

1 Like

Gems! Eg. Bismuth, Jasper, etc…

2 Likes

Things I’ve seen: cities, famous mathematicians/scientists,…
Depends on how often you have to pull them from your head and/or type them.
At home I make up words from the devices’ make/model/capabilities … and end up with names like “asdf”.
For a smaller subnet today I decided on family names of band members of a finnish metal band :slight_smile:

1 Like

I name mine after horror creatures. My main desktop is leviathan, my laptop is arachne, my work vm is vampire etc.

1 Like

My devices are named after “Magic: The Gathering” cards. In retrospect I regret it because the company has been ruining the game for me for years now :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

My dad named his machines after Greek mythology too (and some philosophers).
His main machine was called Zeus, my mum’s Hera and so on. The upstairs WiFi network was then also called “Olympus” and the basement one “Hades” :wink: .

I inherited that; kept using HEPHAISTOS for my main desktop machine and continued to choose Greek-mythology-based names according to their properties in mythology. I.e. SOTERIA (goddess of safety; preservation from harm) for my NAS system that keeps my data safe (hopefully :wink: ) or AMONI for my phone (amboss in Greek; HEPAISTOS’ tool. Also starts with an A as in Android).

1 Like

I use characters from the 3 Musketeers:

• Musketeers for my personal laptop/server/workstations (aramis, porthos, athos).
  • The corresponding lackey for laptop/server/workstation that are provided to me by $WORK (mousqueton)
  • Misc. characters for my phone (richelieu), or referring to e.g: my girlfriend’s devices (milady).
1 Like

I’ve started naming mine after dragons, but I’ve yet to find a good list of actually named mythological dragons, so a variety of my machines are just named after characters from shows I was watching at the time.

One day I’ll get around to changing that.

2 Likes

It’s always {laptopmodel}-{os}

2 Likes

I name mine after albums from my favorite artist, Savant!

So far I had

• Ninür: One of the first albums I ever heard from him
  • Orakel: One of the best albums imo
  • Vario: Very banger tunes here too
  • Protos: An unusual Pop album from him, very classy
  • Zion: This one is very interesting too!
1 Like

I use greek mythology names too, but a specific subset: the Pleiades (the seven sisters + atlas and pleione). I’m pretty close to running out of names, lol. Currently looking for a new star cluster for future hosts.

1 Like

Ladies and Gentlemen…

I am pleased to announce that I have decided on the original idea I proposed; my Thinkpad shall now be dubbed einstein!

2 Likes

I name mine after celestial bodies (or mythology, same thing)

Mythological creatures are pretty common. I like that list too

Scientific names of apes.

2 Likes