How to add a plugin to the logstash package?

Hi,

I’ve just finished a configuration of a logstash pipeline just to find out that the output plugin I need to use, influxdb, although it is an “official” plugin it’s not included by default in the package. Now, I’ve tried using the recommended way (from here) to install the package which is by executing <path_to_logstash_bin>/logstash-plugin install logstash-output-influxdb but it doesn’t work. Do you know how to make that command run or how to include the plugin so that logstash will see it? @basvandijk, maybe you know how?

the code of the plugin is here GitHub - logstash-plugins/logstash-output-influxdb

I don’t have experience wit logstash plugins but I think there are two steps involved:

1. Create a Nix package for logstash-output-influxdb. I see this is a Ruby project so consult the nixpkgs manual on how to package Ruby applications.
    Also look into how other logstash plugins are packaged like logstash-contrib.

2. In your NixOS configuration set:
    services.logstash.plugins = [ pkgs.logstash-output-influxdb ];

Good luck!

1 Like

Thanks for the help, @basvandijk, I completely missed the services.logstash.plugins option. It seems much more simpler to integrate than I expected, if i’ll be able to package that Ruby library and its dependencies. :wink: I’ll look into it!

1 Like