How to fix Scarlett Focusrite 2i2 3rd gen

I use the Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro headphones in combination with the interface, but with the default sample rate (48.000), there is a lot of distortion going on. For some reason you need to change it to 44100 to make it work. Could anyone show me how I would do that for pipewire? Additionally, I would like to know why 48.000 does not just work? As a last question, do I really need to set these options for the drivers options snd_usb_audio vid=0x1235 pid=0x8210 device_setup=1?

Maybe some of you have that exact interface and faced the same problem before, I would much appreciate if you could answer all of my questions.

Maybe it is worth to say that the 2i2 2nd gen was plug and play for me unlike 3rd gen.

1 Like

This is something that is known upstream. There is config for setting sample rate for this device in the comments. I am not sure what is causing this. I needed this setup on only 1 of my machines, the other worked fine with the default 48kHz sample rate.

1 Like

@madnat I actually reinstalled nixos today and now 48k default seems to work without any problems. Might be possible someone made a fix the last two days lol

1 Like

Does anyone have a workaround I can put into /etc/nixos/configuration.nix for 23.11.6359.53a2c32bc66f (Tapir)?

I didn’t figure out how to do it in the nix config but putting this at $HOME/.config/wireplumber/main.lua.d/51-Focusrite.lua solved it for me:

table.insert(alsa_monitor.rules,
  {
    matches = {
      {
        { "device.name", "matches", "alsa_card.usb-Focusrite*" },
      },
    },
    apply_properties = {
      ["api.acp.probe-rate"]             = 44100,
    },
  }
)

If you have home-manager then you can easily just have it write the file. The option you’ll be looking for is called xdg.configFile. Though, I would recommend opening a new discussion post if you need more assistance. Just tag me if you do and I’d gladly help.

@andrewrk in order to put it at home you would need home-manager as @RossComputerGuy pointed out. However there are system wide locations that you can take advantage of, and use it in configuration.nix. See my own config for an example how to do it.

2 Likes