How to get @r-ryantm to update my packages automatically

I’d like the @r-ryantm update bot to update the packages I maintain automatically.

What is required for this?

I’d specifically like for this to happen for the stretchly package:

Currently it is at version 0.19.1. I just sent a PR adding an updateScript and updating it to 0.20.1. However, it would have been nice if the update bot would have at least bumped the version for me:

https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/pull/67789

But from reading the README for the update bot, it doesn’t sound like the update bot uses the updateScript.

What do I need to do to get the update bot to send PRs updating my packages?

cc @ryantm

Here’s the latest log entry from r-ryantm trying to update strechly:

2019-08-21T03:35:14 stretchly 0.19.1 -> 0.20.1
2019-08-21T03:37:37 FAIL Received ExitFailure 100 when running
Raw command: nix-build --option sandbox true --option restrict-eval true --arg config "{ allowBroken = true; allowUnfree = true; allowAliases = false; }" -A stretchly
nix build failed.
@nix { "action": "setPhase", "phase": "unpackPhase" }
unpacking sources
unpacking source archive /nix/store/5hh73xdag7qqn9yszxl2lfdk7wx23plf-stretchly-0.20.1.tar.xz
source root is stretchly-0.20.1
setting SOURCE_DATE_EPOCH to timestamp 1563040874 of file stretchly-0.20.1/resources/app.asar
@nix { "action": "setPhase", "phase": "patchPhase" }
patching sources
@nix { "action": "setPhase", "phase": "glibPreInstallPhase" }
glibPreInstallPhase
@nix { "action": "setPhase", "phase": "installPhase" }
installing
@nix { "action": "setPhase", "phase": "glibPreFixupPhase" }
glibPreFixupPhase
@nix { "action": "setPhase", "phase": "fixupPhase" }
post-installation fixup
stat: No such file or directory

What do I need to do to get the update bot to send PRs updating my packages?

It already is getting to last step of building the package, so there isn’t anything else you need to do to make r-ryantm try to update it. I regularly post the logs, so you can look there for whatever packages you are curious about.

1 Like

Thanks a lot for posting this log.

In the future, I’ll have to check the logs in the other thread, as well as keep an eye on repology for packages of mine that aren’t able to be updated automatically.

1 Like

You could also subscribe to this RSS feed. Maybe in the future we can think about having r-ryantm open issues as well.

3 Likes

I would love this, if we also had ways to flag false positives on open update issues, something like “@r-ryantm mark AlreadyNewest”, because I’ve encountered many times where the latest official release was 3 years old, but we have an unstable-YYYYMMDD which is significantly more, “up to date”(this could be handled by repology, but I don’t think they want to have an exception first policy when it comes to Nix).

It may also serve as a good tool for people who want to get their feet wet: they can remedy “easier” updates, or categorize them by language/build toolchain.

2 Likes