How to package this rust package?

I would like to package the following project for NixOS:

However, it’s sort of a monorepo of 3 rust crates (only the 1st has an actual binary that’s interesting):

• vhdl_ls
  • vhdl_lang
  • vhdl_libraries

The 1st problem is that no Cargo.lock is tracked in the repository. I hoped that I could get away with that using fetchCrate with pname = "vhdl_ls - the subproject of interest, however running it fails with:

thread 'main' panicked at 'Couldn't find installed libraries at ../vhdl_libraries, ../../vhdl_libraries, /usr/lib/rust_hdl/vhdl_libraries.', /build/vhdl_ls-0.64.0-vendor.tar.gz/vhdl_lang/src/config.rs:237:9

I think I can add a Cargo.lock patch for the mono repo, but even then I’m not sure what would buildRustPackage will do exactly - which project it will build? Perhaps I can negotiate with upstream to start track the Cargo.lock? But I’m not sure it’s justified (I’m not a rust developer).

My current progress is at this PR.

Help will be appreciated!

You would need to create your own Cargo.lock

{ lib
, rustPlatform
, fetchFromGitHub
}:

rustPlatform.buildRustPackage rec {
  pname = "rust-hdl";
  version = "0.64.0";

src = fetchFromGitHub {
    owner = "VHDL-LS";
    repo = "rust_hdl";
    rev = "v${version}";
    hash = "sha256-j5WRJJBUPKW3W+kY5hdqdZxxGkIAoEcW+A2pp23MX6Q=";
  };

cargoLock = {
    lockFile = ./Cargo.lock;
  };

postPatch = ''
    ln -s ${./Cargo.lock} Cargo.lock
  '';

meta = with lib; {
    description = "A VHDL language server";
    homepage = "https://github.com/VHDL-LS/rust_hdl";
    license = licenses.mpl20;
    maintainers = with maintainers; [ ];
  };
}

nix-init helps make this process easier, though I would still recommend suggesting upstream to include Cargo.lock in the repository

OK I guess there is no choice… I’m happy to learn at least that adding a Cargo.lock manually like that doesn’t require also a cargoHash. Thanks for the help!

The compilation did got better, but apparently there is still the “vhdl_libraries not found” error, as in the my first comment…

Oh wait, this is easily fixable… Now PR is not a draft. Thanks for the help!