How to use gst plugins?

Hi, I’m trying to use gst-launch with the ximagesrc plugin on NixOS 19.09 + xfce4.

I wrote this shell.nix:

with import <nixpkgs> {};
mkShell {
  inputs = [
    gst_all_1.gstreamer.dev
    gst-plugins-good
  ];
  shellHooks = ''
    export LANG="en_US";
    export GST_PLUGIN_SYSTEM_PATH="${gst-plugins-good}/lib/gstreamer-0.10/"
    export PATH="$PATH:${gst_all_1.gstreamer.dev}/bin"
  '';
}

but the plugin is blacklisted by gst:

$ nix-shell 

[nix-shell]$ gst-inspect-1.0 ximagesrc
No such element or plugin 'ximagesrc'

[nix-shell]$ gst-inspect-1.0 -b | grep ximagesrc
  libgstximagesrc.so

Any idea ?

Problem solved: I was using gstreamer-1.0 tools with gstreamer-0.10 plugins…

with import <nixpkgs> {};

mkShell {
  shellHooks = ''
    export LANG="en_US";
    export GST_PLUGIN_SYSTEM_PATH="${gst_all_1.gst-plugins-base}/lib/gstreamer-1.0/:${gst_all_1.gst-plugins-good}/lib/gstreamer-1.0/"
    export PATH="$PATH:${gst_all_1.gstreamer.dev}/bin"
  '';
}
[nix-shell]$ gst-inspect-1.0 ximagesrc
Factory Details:
  Rank                     none (0)
  Long-name                Ximage video source
  Klass                    Source/Video

I struggled to make even the base plugins work on NixOS, but thanks to your post i tried using it in a dev shell and it worked. Thanks. I created a NixOS Wiki page with the result: GStreamer - NixOS Wiki.

1 Like

GST_PLUGIN_SYSTEM_PATH= has been renamed to GST_PLUGIN_SYSTEM_PATH_1_0=.
I think it should be in the wiki. Do you know why the GST_PLUGIN_SYSTEM_PATH_1_0 isn’t set automatically? I faced this issue while trying to install a shell script with writeShellApplication. even though the dependencies are listed in runtimeInputs, it only set the /bin dirs in PATH and I had to set /lib in GST_PLUGIN_SYSTEM_PATH_1_0 manually.

note: I think gst_all_1.gstreamer has three outputs. .bin .out .dev and the /lib is in the .out

export GST_PLUGIN_SYSTEM_PATH_1_0="${pkgs.gst_all_1.gstreamer.out}/lib/gstreamer-1.0:${pkgs.gst_all_1.gst-plugins-base}/lib/gstreamer-1.0:${pkgs.gst_all_1.gst-plugins-good}/lib/gstreamer-1.0"

Good point. Feel free to to mention this in the new wiki: GStreamer - NixOS Wiki

1 Like