Installation problems

I’m trying 3 times already (and this is only today!) To install this system, I’ve already checked everything several times (and I confirmed the new password!), But after reboot the system requires a username and password!
And, whatever I enter - nothing suits.
I’m already really fed up with this OS and I don’t want to install it anymore, but … I’m still very interested - what does this system really want from me?
I have never seen anything like this anywhere in any OS, so that the system does not allow you to go further.
Incredible.
Someone will say, what am I doing wrong?

1 Like

Generally speaking, you should use the username root and the password you specified at the very end of the installation process.

Alternatively, you can create a user in your configuration.nix and supply a hashed password. However, that isn’t required. If you want to try that instead you can do it like this:

users.users.dalto = {
    isNormalUser = true;
    hashedPassword = "$6$sxrNsu3.EwRXYAAG$flowzjKcDepdPSqA5d4Y6y/HzupxndqmrcjwExbR7H05PgAOo91Q2yXGsdmavXRZpM8ROEcN9pVNhnmZA2NIo.";
    extraGroups = [ "wheel" ]; 
  };

To generate the password hash you use mkpasswd -m sha-512, for example:

$ mkpasswd -m sha-512 password
$6$sxrNsu3.EwRXYAAG$flowzjKcDepdPSqA5d4Y6y/HzupxndqmrcjwExbR7H05PgAOo91Q2yXGsdmavXRZpM8ROEcN9pVNhnmZA2NIo.
3 Likes

if you ran nixos-install as a part of NixOS 23.11 manual | Nix & NixOS. then it should set the root password. You may have to log in as root once, and set your user’s password, or use @dalto 's recommendation above if you want as a part of your configuration.

Also make sure that you’re booting into the correct partition upon restart.

I’ve had to ran through this process ~3 times because I was playing around with zfs on boot, and can verify that the process works for the 19.09 and 20.03 install images.

2 Likes

Hard to say when you haven’t told us what you’re doing. :stuck_out_tongue: What commands to you use to perform the installation? What does your configuration.nix file look like? What kind of hardware are you using?

3 Likes

Hi dalto,
Thanks for the password hint, I didn’t know that.
I will do it next time.
Thanks again

1 Like

Hi jonringer,
I will do it(root) next time as you and “dalto” advised.
Thanks for your help

3 Likes