Introducing Attic, a self-hostable Nix Binary Cache server

Hi Nix community, I would like to show you something that I’ve been working on this holiday:

Attic is a self-hostable Nix Binary Cache server backed by an S3-compatible storage provider. It has support for global deduplication and garbage collection. It’s easy to set up and scale, from one user (you!) to hundreds.

⚙️ Pushing 5 paths to "demo" on "local" (566 already cached, 2001 in upstream)...
✅ gnvi1x7r8kl3clzx0d266wi82fgyzidv-steam-run-fhs (29.69 MiB/s)
✅ rw7bx7ak2p02ljm3z4hhpkjlr8rzg6xz-steam-fhs (30.56 MiB/s)
✅ y92f9y7qhkpcvrqhzvf6k40j6iaxddq8-0p36ammvgyr55q9w75845kw4fw1c65ln-source (19.96 MiB/s)
🕒 vscode-1.74.2        ███████████████████████████████████████  345.66 MiB (41.32 MiB/s)
🕓 zoom-5.12.9.367      ███████████████████████████              329.36 MiB (39.47 MiB/s)

But why?

Currently, the experience of having a private Nix binary cache is less than ideal:

• Plain s3:// store: Any machine interacting with the private cache needs its own S3 Access Key, with machines needing to push also having the private signing key available. Furthermore, there is no simple way to clean up an S3 cache based on access recency.
  • Plain ssh:// store: Pushing and pulling both require SSH access to the machine. For pushing, the private key requirement still exists and the user also needs to be trusted by nix-daemon. As a single-machine setup, it does not scale.
  • nix-serve, eris, harmonia: These tools are able to perform signing on-the-fly, but they are still serving from the local /nix/store. Pushing still requires SSH access as a trusted user, and the setup is still single-machine and single-tenant.
  • Cachix: Provides a much better user experience than the others, with a sleek CLI client that allows users to push with a token. Signing can be managed centrally and done on-the-fly. However, it’s a SaaS service and cannot be self-hosted without a custom “Contact Us” arrangement.

I’ll elaborate later in this post. Before I lose your attention, however, allow me to convince you with a demo that you can try :slight_smile:

Try it out (15 minutes)

Let’s spin up Attic in just 15 minutes (yes, it works on macOS too!):

nix-shell https://github.com/zhaofengli/attic/tarball/main -A demo

Simply run atticd to start the server in monolithic mode with a SQLite database and local storage:

$ atticd
Attic Server 0.1.0 (release)

-----------------
Welcome to Attic!

A simple setup using SQLite and local storage has been configured for you in:

/home/zhaofeng/.config/attic/server.toml

Run the following command to log into this server:

attic login local http://localhost:8080 eyJ...

Documentations and guides:

https://docs.attic.rs

Enjoy!
-----------------

Running migrations...
Starting API server...
Listening on [::]:8080...

Cache Creation

atticd is the server, and attic is the client. We can now log in and create a cache:

# Copy and paste from the atticd output
$ attic login local http://localhost:8080 eyJ...
✍️ Configuring server "local"

$ attic cache create hello
✨ Created cache "hello" on "local"

Pushing

Let’s push attic itself to the cache:

$ attic push hello $(which attic)
⚙️ Pushing 1 paths to "hello" on "local" (0 already cached, 45 in upstream)...
✅ r5d7217c0rjd5iiz1g2nhvd15frck9x2-attic-0.1.0 (52.89 MiB/s)

The interesting thing is that attic automatically skipped over store paths cached by cache.nixos.org! This behavior can be configured on a per-cache basis.

Note that Attic performs content-addressed global deduplication, so when you upload the same store path to another cache, the underlying NAR is only stored once. Each cache is essentially a restricted view of the global cache.

Pulling

Now, let’s pull it back from the cache. For demonstration purposes, let’s use --store to make Nix download to another directory because Attic already exists in /nix/store:

# Automatically configures ~/.config/nix/nix.conf for you
$ attic use hello
Configuring Nix to use "hello" on "local":
+ Substituter: http://localhost:8080/hello
+ Trusted Public Key: hello:vlsd7ZHIXNnKXEQShVnd7erE8zcuSKrBWRpV6zTibnA=
+ Access Token

$ nix-store --store $PWD/nix-demo -r $(which attic)
[snip]
copying path '/nix/store/r5d7217c0rjd5iiz1g2nhvd15frck9x2-attic-0.1.0' from 'http://localhost:8080/hello'...
warning: you did not specify '--add-root'; the result might be removed by the garbage collector
/nix/store/r5d7217c0rjd5iiz1g2nhvd15frck9x2-attic-0.1.0

$ ls nix-demo/nix/store/r5d7217c0rjd5iiz1g2nhvd15frck9x2-attic-0.1.0/bin/attic
nix-demo/nix/store/r5d7217c0rjd5iiz1g2nhvd15frck9x2-attic-0.1.0/bin/attic

That was easy!

Access Control

Attic performs stateless authentication using signed JWT tokens which contain permissions. The root token printed out by atticd is all-powerful and should not be shared.

Let’s create another token that can only access the hello cache:

$ atticadm make-token --sub alice --validity '3 months' --pull hello --push hello
eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJhbGljZSIsImV4cCI6MTY4MDI5MzMzOSwiaHR0cHM6Ly9qd3QuYXR0aWMucnMvdjEiOnsiY2FjaGVzIjp7ImhlbGxvIjp7InIiOjEsInciOjF9fX19.XJsaVfjrX5l7p9z76836KXP6Vixn41QJUfxjiK7D-LM

Let’s say Alice wants to have her own caches. Instead of creating caches for her, we can let her do it herself:

$ atticadm make-token --sub alice --validity '3 months' --pull 'alice-*' --push 'alice-*' --create-cache 'alice-*'
eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJhbGljZSIsImV4cCI6MTY4MDI5MzQyNSwiaHR0cHM6Ly9qd3QuYXR0aWMucnMvdjEiOnsiY2FjaGVzIjp7ImFsaWNlLSoiOnsiciI6MSwidyI6MSwiY2MiOjF9fX19.MkSnK6yGDWYUVnYiJF3tQgdTlqstfWlbziFWUr-lKUk

Now Alice can use this token to create any cache beginning with alice- and push to them. Try passing --dump-claims to show the JWT claims without encoding the token to see what’s going on.

Going Public

Let’s make the cache public. Making it public gives unauthenticated users pull access:

$ attic cache configure hello --public
✅ Configured "hello" on "local"

# Now we can query the cache without being authenticated
$ curl http://localhost:8080/hello/nix-cache-info
WantMassQuery: 1
StoreDir: /nix/store
Priority: 41

Garbage Collection

It’s a bad idea to let binary caches grow unbounded. Let’s configure garbage collection on the cache to automatically delete objects that haven’t been accessed in a while:

$ attic cache configure hello --retention-period '1s'

Now the retention period is only one second. Instead of waiting for the periodic garbage collection to occur (see server.toml), let’s trigger it manually:

$ atticd --mode garbage-collector-once

Now the store path doesn’t exist on the cache anymore!

$ nix-store --store $PWD/nix-demo-2 -r $(which attic)
don't know how to build these paths:
  /nix/store/v660wl07i1lcrrgpr1yspn2va5d1xgjr-attic-0.1.0
error: build of '/nix/store/v660wl07i1lcrrgpr1yspn2va5d1xgjr-attic-0.1.0' failed

$ curl http://localhost:8080/hello/v660wl07i1lcrrgpr1yspn2va5d1xgjr.narinfo
{"code":404,"error":"NoSuchObject","message":"The requested object does not exist."}

Let’s reset it back to the default, which is to not garbage collect (configure it in server.toml):

$ attic cache configure hello --reset-retention-period

$ attic cache info hello
               Public: true
           Public Key: hello:vlsd7ZHIXNnKXEQShVnd7erE8zcuSKrBWRpV6zTibnA=
Binary Cache Endpoint: http://localhost:8080/hello
         API Endpoint: http://localhost:8080/
      Store Directory: /nix/store
             Priority: 41
  Upstream Cache Keys: ["cache.nixos.org-1"]
     Retention Period: Global Default
  1. Local Cache : When an object is garbage collected, only the mapping between the metadata in the local cache and the NAR in the global cache gets deleted. The local cache loses access to the NAR, but the storage isn’t freed.
  2. Global NAR Store : Orphan NARs not referenced by any local cache then become eligible for deletion.
  3. Global Chunk Store : Finally, orphan chunks not referenced by any NAR become eligible for deletion. This time the storage space is actually freed and subsequent uploads of the same chunk will actually trigger an upload to the storage backend.

What just happened?

In just a few commands, we have:

1. Set up a new Attic server and a binary cache
  2. Pushed store paths to it
  3. Configured Nix to use the new binary cache
  4. Generated access tokens that provide restricted access
  5. Made the cache public
  6. Performed garbage collection

Goals

With the quick demo out of the way, let’s talk about what I’m aiming to achieve with Attic:

• Multi-Tenancy : Create a private cache for yourself, and one for friends and co-workers. Tenants are mutually untrusting and cannot pollute the views of other caches.
  • Global Deduplication : Individual caches (tenants) are simply restricted views of the content-addressed NAR Store and Chunk Store. When paths are uploaded, a mapping is created to grant the local cache access to the global NAR.
  • Managed Signing : Signing is done on-the-fly by the server when store paths are fetched. The user pushing store paths does not have access to the signing key.
  • Scalabilty : Attic can be easily replicated. It’s designed to be deployed to serverless platforms like fly.io but also works nicely in a single-machine setup.
  • Ease of Use: Newcomers and casual Nix users (think your teammates who you are trying to sell the shell.nix you just added to the repo to) shouldn’t need to wrangle with configuration files.
  • Garbage Collection : Unused store paths can be garbage-collected in an LRU manner.

Next steps (if you followed the demo)

Note: Attic is an early prototype and everything is subject to change! It may be full of holes and APIs may be changed without backward-compatibility. You might even be required to reset the entire database. I would love to have people give it a try, but please keep that in mind :slight_smile:

For a less temporary setup, you can set up atticd with PostgreSQL and S3. You should also place it behind a load balancer like NGINX to provide HTTPS. Take a look at ~/.config/attic/server.toml to see what you can configure!

While it’s easy to get started by running atticd in monolithic mode, for production use it’s best to run different components of atticd separately with --mode:

• api-server: Stateless and can be replicated.
  • garbage-collector: Performs periodic garbage collection. Cannot be replicated.

Coming soon

As an early prototype, what Attic can do is fairly limited. Here are a few things that are on the way:

• Better error reporting
  • Metrics
  • A lot more tests

FAQs

Does it replace Cachix?

No, it does not. Cachix is an awesome product and the direct inspiration for the user experience of Attic. It works at a much larger scale than Attic and is a proven solution. Numerous open-source projects in the Nix community (including mine!) use Cachix to share publicly-available binaries.

Attic can be thought to provide a similar user experience at a much smaller scale (personal or team use).

What happens if a user uploads a path that is already in the global cache?

The user will still fully upload the path to the server because they have to prove possession of the file. The difference is that instead of having the upload streamed to the storage backend (e.g., S3), it’s only run through a hash function and discarded. Once the NAR hash is confirmed, a mapping is created to grant the local cache access to the global NAR. The global deduplication behavior is transparent to the client.

In the future, schemes to prove data possession without fully uploading the file may be supported.

What happens if a user uploads a path with incorrect/malicious metadata?

They will only pollute their own cache. Path metadata (store path, references, deriver, etc.) are associated with the local cache and the global cache only contains content-addressed NARs that are “context-free.”

How is authentication handled?

Authentication is done via signed JWTs containing the allowed permissions. Each instance of atticd --mode api-server is stateless. This design may be revisited later, with option for a more stateful method of authentication.

On what granularity is deduplication done?

Global deduplication is done on two levels: NAR files and chunks. During an upload, the NAR file is split into chunks using the FastCDC algorithm. Identical chunks are only stored once in the storage backend. If an identical NAR exists in the Global NAR Store, chunking is skipped and the NAR is directly deduplicated.

During a download, atticd reassembles the entire NAR from constituent chunks by streaming from the storage backend.

Data chunking is optional and can be disabled entirely or for NARs smaller than a threshold. When chunking is disabled, all new NARs are uploaded as a single chunk and NAR-level deduplication is still in effect.

How are you hosting your instance?

My personal instance is running on fly.io with database provided by neon.tech. The object storage service is Cloudflare R2 which has no egress fees.

How does the client do all the work?

I implemented an async Rust binding to the C++ libnixstore which allows the client to compute closures, lookup path metadata, and stream NARs directly to the Attic server. It’s a bit hairy but hopefully with something like Tvix all of this won’t be necessary anymore.

More FAQs

98 Likes

Wow! That looks awesome!
Plus points for it being open source and having original ideas.
Keep up the work!

7 Likes

It would be a true novelty to the nix caching space if one could flag ‘release’ packages (and their closure) to prevent it from GC.

That would be the first implementation (I know of) of safe GC on a nix cache and would provide it with registry-like semantics.

One could fathom a modularized frontend registry implementation for your preferred language XYZ that uses attic (and nix) as its storage backend which rather coincidentially also implements the promises and guarantees of the nix build system.

That would be a hell of a marriage! :partying_face:

An expansion of this idea would make sure the entire sources of such releases are also cached and maintained, so serving as a software vault by the powers of nix (which is otherwise a pricey piece of infrastructure on the market).

8 Likes

That sounds great! Now can you add attic to nixpkgs? Both the client as an executable and the server as a NixOS module (so that one can configure it completely through nix)?

4 Likes

That sounds great! Now can you add attic to nixpkgs ?

I will submit it when the client APIs are stabilized. The attic client is designed to work with multiple servers (similar to git remotes), and it would suck to have to carry support for some early APIs because of old clients/servers shipped in nixpkgs. That’s why I would love to have people try it out now and point out issues :slight_smile:

I hope this design can encourage more decentralization in the community.

the server as a NixOS module (so that one can configure it completely through nix)?

Yes, this is coming soon to the repo and tracked in Missing NixOS module for `atticd` · Issue #1 · zhaofengli/attic · GitHub. It will be upstreamed together with the package.

3 Likes

Makes sense. Maybe you can add a short installation instructions section in GitHub - zhaofengli/attic: Multi-tenant Nix Binary Cache how to install it via flakes. (You might even add it to the flakes search on nixos.org, see https://github.com/NixOS/nixos-search/blob/24bdbc97b3e58d7d2056b3ead8bf8a5994f774fa/flakes/manual.toml, although this isn’t used much yet.)

2 Likes

By the way, sometimes with attic I get:

❌ dqhx9sbn86m5gyqzmi01a8wh7k9mf1kb-rust-analyzer-preview-1.68.0-nightly-2023-01-01-x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu: InternalServerError: The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration.

I’m wondering if it’s with big files or something.

1 Like

Hmm, are you using S3 by any chance? Maybe it’s some spurious upload failure. I just made the default logging less horrible so you should be able to see what went wrong in stderr if it happens again.

1 Like

Kinda, Cloudflare R2.

Thanks, I’ll try to update.

1 Like

on the atticd side:

2023-01-03T20:26:23.861520Z ERROR attic_server::error: RemoteFileError(Remote file error: dispatch failure)
2023-01-03T21:04:51.360880Z ERROR attic_server::error: RemoteFileError(Remote file error: service error)
1 Like

Hmm, we probably want to tweak the retry configs in the AWS SDK. But even then, it should automatically cleanup stray multipart uploads upon failures.

2 Likes

Question on the design. Does the attic client know to try downloading from the storage service directly if possible or is it proxied via the server?

E.g. am I downloading directly from B2/R2/S3?

1 Like

Downloads aren’t proxied and the Attic server just returns a 307 redirect to a presigned URL on S3. Uploads are streamed through the server because compression is handled server-side.

2 Likes

Awesome! For my use-case, this is much better than previous implementations.

I see that you’re working in compression, Kudos for that too!

4 Likes

Hi all, it’s been a week since the public release and I really appreciate the responses so far :slight_smile: Meanwhile, there are a few new things:

• Attic can now be built statically (nix build .#attic-static), with a fix submitted upstream to Nix. This should make installation in CI environments much easier.
  • There is now an NixOS module for atticd that you can use via nixos/atticd.nix or nixosModules.atticd via flakes.
  • attic login without a token no longer overwrites existing tokens.
  • Fixed a bug where ~/.config/attic/config.toml was created with default permissions (should have been 600).
9 Likes

How do you generate the JWT for ATTIC_SERVER_TOKEN_HS256_SECRET_BASE64?

It’s not a JWT but just some random data to serve as the secret. openssl rand 64 | base64 -w0 should work. I should write more documentations on this.

2 Likes

I got atticd running with the nix module, but I didn’t get a root token. Any way to get one?

jan 11 00:47:39 nixos atticd[153175]: Attic Server 0.1.0 (release)
jan 11 00:47:39 nixos atticd[153175]: Running migrations...
jan 11 00:47:39 nixos atticd[153175]: Starting API server...
jan 11 00:47:39 nixos atticd[153175]: Listening on [::]:8484...

The OOBE sequence isn’t triggered if you already have a config file. You can generate tokens with atticadm -f path/to/server.toml make-token (also set the ATTIC_SERVER_TOKEN_HS256_SECRET_BASE64 environment variable).

1 Like

@zhaofengli Looks cool. Are you planning to support watch mode(aka cachix watch-store)?

1 Like