IPv6 tempAddress

Hi everybody

I am quite new to NixOS and want to use IPv6 on a server. I noticed that the IPv6 Privacy Extention is enabled by default but I am wondering how to disable it? I am running a server and would like to have a stable address. I noticed the following:

• privacy extention activated, fix IPv6 (network.interfaces..addresses): the address I set changes
  • add network.interfaces..tempAddress = “disabled” : the address I set disappear after some time, but no other IPv6 address comes (except fe80:…).

So my question: how to have a fix and stable IPv6 address? I don’t have need to fix one by myself.

Gaston

• privacy extention activated, fix IPv6 (network.interfaces…addresses): the address I set changes

You don’t need to configure a static address if you have a DHCPv6 server or router advertisements. By default the kernel will generate a stable address using the MAC address (EUI-64) and several temporary addresses.

In your case (a server) the temporary addresses are likely unnecessary, so just disable them with networking.tempAddresses = "disabled";.

1 Like