Is anyone using nixos on dell inspiron 7590 here?

I’m trying to enable the official nvidia driver, however after setting services.xserver.videoDrivers = [ "nvidia" ], nixos is stuck on boot. Enabling optimus I can boot to display-manager but after login I only get a black screen.

I’m using gnome3 desktop with gdm and wayland is disabled. The kernel version is 5.3.5.

Too little information but the best bet for hybrid graphics usually is disable the nvidia gpu first and using the integrated then debugging the configuration for the nvidia gpu.

I’m on a 7590. I’ve had issues with the wireless card and video.

I don’t know about Wayland but it seems bumblebee works fine under X. I checked through journalctl but didn’t find anything suspicious to me. I’ve never dealt with nvidia cards before, is there any document that can guide me to “debug” the configuration?

P.S. Does XPS 7590 and Inspiron 7590 share similar model?

Since the 7590 has Turing GPU, can you try out prime render offloading[1] with their RTD3 PM[2].

[1] nvidia: prime render offload by eadwu · Pull Request #66601 · NixOS/nixpkgs · GitHub
[2] Chapter 22. PCI-Express Runtime D3 (RTD3) Power Management

Add these configuration works for me:

environment.etc."xdg/autostart/optimus.desktop".text = ''
    [Desktop Entry]
    Type=Application
    Name=Optimus
    Exec=sh -c "xrandr --setprovideroutputsource modesetting NVIDIA-0; xrandr --auto"
    NoDisplay=true
    X-GNOME-Autostart-Phase=DisplayServer
  '';

Is this really the offloading config? According to the nvidia manual[1], this looks more like sync mode[2] where the nvidia card is used all the time and accordingly drains your battery.

Is this really what you want?

If you’d like power management (turning off the nvidia gpu), which channel are you using?

[1] Chapter 33. Offloading Graphics Display with RandR 1.4
[2] Nvidia - NixOS Wiki