Is PipeWire ready for using?

I updated my home-manager and it told me to pick either PulseAudio or PipeWire for PulseEffects.

I hadn’t heard of PipeWire before, it wants to support both Jack and PA usecases, which sounds good to me.

Is it ready enough for using on my laptop? What should I configure on the NixOS side?

2 Likes

I’m using it without problems. I just added something like this in my configurations.nix:

services.pipewire = {
    enable = true;
    alsa = {
      enable = true;
      support32Bit = true;
    };
    pulse.enable = true;
  };
3 Likes

I tried version 0.3.18 and while it mostly works I did have some glitches (mainly when switching outputs in pavucontrol-qt, but sometimes sound would stop working in firefox). so for now I reverted back to pulseaudio.

1 Like

I would say the development of pipewire is at a point where the base cases for endusers should mostly be satisfied. In particular the pulseaudio plugin has a lot to do with that. If you pick through Home · Wiki · PipeWire / pipewire · GitLab and the issue tracker you will see issues with things on the pulseaudio implementation side not working as well or the same (IIRC).
My personal evaluation is its in a phase of broader testing, so IMHO experimental but I have used it for certain purposes and those purposes did work (but not perfectly). I really wouldn’t expect it to just yet.

2 Likes

Great responses, thanks! I’ll give it a shot, but I’m worried that Teams and friends will misbehave during customer meetings.