Issue using nixos-vscode-server after 22.05 upgrade

I’m getting an error attempting to use nixos-vscode-server in my home-manager configuration after upgrading to 22.05 (GitHub issue: Error: `builder for '...' failed to produce output path for output 'out' at '...'` · Issue #30 · nix-community/nixos-vscode-server · GitHub):

$ home-manager switch
error: builder for '/nix/store/s31vlk12dslzkna3cncvg5a6636vyyf5-auto-fix-vscode-server.service.drv' failed to produce output path for output 'out' at '/nix/store/s31vlk12dslzkna3cncvg5a6636vyyf5-auto-fix-vscode-server.service.drv.chroot/nix/store/nhyc3xdqbw2gljn30y4wi2zwl1ki4mn1-auto-fix-vscode-server.service'
error: 1 dependencies of derivation '/nix/store/z02sq9nc2h1qw0vwayhzz594bir90iz1-home-manager-files.drv' failed to build
error: 1 dependencies of derivation '/nix/store/sxb36xzkgj7zp2ng8g3k7l9szxw108nl-home-manager-generation.drv' failed to build

The exact same config worked fine previously.

Has anyone encountered this before? Or have any idea how to fix it?

1 Like

Lots of pieces of VSCode are broken as well. For example, trying to open the integrated terminal fails:

The terminal process failed to launch: A native exception occurred during launch (The module '/home/skainswo/.vscode-server/bin/30d9c6cd9483b2cc586687151bcbcd635f373630/node_modules/node-pty/build/Release/pty.node'
was compiled against a different Node.js version using
NODE_MODULE_VERSION 93. This version of Node.js requires
NODE_MODULE_VERSION 83. Please try re-compiling or re-installing
the module (for instance, using `npm rebuild` or `npm install`).).

I wrote my own vscode patcher but still searching for better solution, this kind of works for some times if you need it https://github.com/shikanime/shikanime/blob/34319401d7a613a82cc59f7dc3f8fcd37b3ab0bb/modules/remote/vscode.nix. But I’m open for any other better solutions.

I’ve found that nixos-vscode-server had improved a lot recently, and I’m no longer seeing these issues. So I’ve gone back to that for now.

Cool to see more tools being built in this direction though!