KDE Plasma breaks after unlocking

Had this issue in both 22.05 and unstable.

I have two monitors and very simple desktop setting on both - one application menu bar and one default panel. The problem occurs when I unlock my screen, or wake up from sleep. Sometimes all the four panels vanish. Sometimes the panels jump from one monitor to another, sometimes the wallpaper turns black. Sometimes the desktop views revert to folder views and sometimes Plasma crashes entirely.

My journalctl is spammed with a bunch of QML messages like these:

Oct 13 21:44:55 andromeda plasmashell[2448]: file:///nix/store/wql6vh7sjpzrrqmbb3yg0ppg6rc7xf7z-plasma-framework-5.98.0-bin/lib/qt-5.15.6/qml/org/kde/plasma/extras/PlaceholderMessage.qml:238:5: QML Heading: Binding loop detected for property "verticalAlignment"
Oct 13 21:44:56 andromeda plasmashell[2448]: file:///nix/store/wql6vh7sjpzrrqmbb3yg0ppg6rc7xf7z-plasma-framework-5.98.0-bin/lib/qt-5.15.6/qml/org/kde/plasma/extras/PlaceholderMessage.qml:238:5: QML Heading: Binding loop detected for property "verticalAlignment"
Oct 13 21:44:56 andromeda plasmashell[2448]: kf.plasma.core: requesting config for "Panel" without a containment!
Oct 13 21:44:56 andromeda plasmashell[2448]: file:///nix/store/0hqj49vbmw28a4799967sv2rf1y6yv1l-plasma-desktop-5.25.5/share/plasma/packages/org.kde.paneltoolbox/contents/ui/main.qml:16: TypeError: Cannot read property 'formFactor' of null
Oct 13 21:44:56 andromeda plasmashell[2448]: file:///nix/store/0hqj49vbmw28a4799967sv2rf1y6yv1l-plasma-desktop-5.25.5/share/plasma/packages/org.kde.paneltoolbox/contents/ui/main.qml:99: TypeError: Cannot read property 'editMode' of null
Oct 13 21:44:56 andromeda plasmashell[2448]: file:///nix/store/0hqj49vbmw28a4799967sv2rf1y6yv1l-plasma-desktop-5.25.5/share/plasma/packages/org.kde.paneltoolbox/contents/ui/main.qml:44: TypeError: Cannot read property 'editMode' of null
Oct 13 21:44:56 andromeda plasmashell[2448]: file:///nix/store/0hqj49vbmw28a4799967sv2rf1y6yv1l-plasma-desktop-5.25.5/share/plasma/packages/org.kde.paneltoolbox/contents/ui/main.qml:33: TypeError: Cannot read property 'editMode' of null
Oct 13 21:44:56 andromeda plasmashell[2448]: file:///nix/store/0hqj49vbmw28a4799967sv2rf1y6yv1l-plasma-desktop-5.25.5/share/plasma/packages/org.kde.paneltoolbox/contents/ui/main.qml:40: TypeError: Cannot read property 'userConfiguring' of null
Oct 13 21:44:56 andromeda plasmashell[2448]: file:///nix/store/wql6vh7sjpzrrqmbb3yg0ppg6rc7xf7z-plasma-framework-5.98.0-bin/lib/qt-5.15.6/qml/org/kde/plasma/extras/PlaceholderMessage.qml:238:5: QML Heading: Binding loop detected for property "verticalAlignment"
Oct 13 21:44:57 andromeda plasmashell[2448]: file:///nix/store/wql6vh7sjpzrrqmbb3yg0ppg6rc7xf7z-plasma-framework-5.98.0-bin/lib/qt-5.15.6/qml/org/kde/plasma/extras/PlaceholderMessage.qml:238:5: QML Heading: Binding loop detected for property "verticalAlignment"
Oct 13 21:44:58 andromeda plasmashell[2448]: file:///nix/store/wql6vh7sjpzrrqmbb3yg0ppg6rc7xf7z-plasma-framework-5.98.0-bin/lib/qt-5.15.6/qml/org/kde/plasma/extras/PlaceholderMessage.qml:238:5: QML Heading: Binding loop detected for property "verticalAlignment"
Oct 13 21:44:58 andromeda plasmashell[2448]: file:///nix/store/wql6vh7sjpzrrqmbb3yg0ppg6rc7xf7z-plasma-framework-5.98.0-bin/lib/qt-5.15.6/qml/org/kde/plasma/extras/PlaceholderMessage.qml:238:5: QML Heading: Binding loop detected for property "verticalAlignment"
Oct 13 21:44:59 andromeda plasmashell[2448]: file:///nix/store/wql6vh7sjpzrrqmbb3yg0ppg6rc7xf7z-plasma-framework-5.98.0-bin/lib/qt-5.15.6/qml/org/kde/plasma/extras/PlaceholderMessage.qml:238:5: QML Heading: Binding loop detected for property "verticalAlignment"

Some QDbus errors:

Oct 13 21:44:54 andromeda plasmashell[2448]: QDBusConnection: error: could not send signal to service "" path "/plasma-org.kde.plasma.desktop-appletsrc" interface "org.kde.kconfig.notify" member "ConfigChanged": Invalid object path: /plasma-org.kde.plasma.desktop-applets>
Oct 13 21:44:54 andromeda plasmashell[2448]: QDBusConnection: error: could not send signal to service "" path "/plasma-org.kde.plasma.desktop-appletsrc" interface "org.kde.kconfig.notify" member "ConfigChanged": Invalid object path: /plasma-org.kde.plasma.desktop-applets>

And some KWin errors:

Oct 13 21:44:38 andromeda kwin_x11[2424]: qt.qpa.xcb: QXcbConnection: XCB error: 9 (BadDrawable), sequence: 54452, resource id: 33556553, major code: 14 (GetGeometry), minor code: 0
Oct 13 21:44:38 andromeda kwin_x11[2424]: qt.qpa.xcb: QXcbConnection: XCB error: 9 (BadDrawable), sequence: 54453, resource id: 33556553, major code: 14 (GetGeometry), minor code: 0
Oct 13 21:44:38 andromeda kwin_x11[2424]: qt.qpa.xcb: QXcbConnection: XCB error: 9 (BadDrawable), sequence: 54454, resource id: 33556553, major code: 14 (GetGeometry), minor code: 0
1 Like

Are these issues occurring when you create a new user and use its fresh session? I remember having troubles with KDE (empty desktop) because somehow a config file got “corrupted” when I was turning my laptop in sleep mode with a screen plugged and unplugged the screen when it was still in sleep mode: at wake up it was still trying to display the main desktop on the screen even if no screen was plugged. So a fresh session would indicate if the bug is from your config that got corrupted or from the system.

I didn’t try with a fresh user, but I cleaned my $HOME and reinstalled the OS and the issue was still there. I’ll try to make a new user and see what happens.

You also removed hidden files in your home, like .config? (warning you may lose important data)

Also another thing that come to mind is whether you are using X11 or Wayland. I think that KDE is not ready yet for Wayland and still has some small annoying issues. And I’m not sure what is the current status of KDE in NixOs but at some point KDE was using Wayland by default. So double check you are using X11.

Yes, I cleaned everything. All my important stuff is handled by home-manager so I didn’t lose anything, but it was a full format.

I’m using X11

Now that I think about it, I have only seen the panels move from monitor 1 to monitor 2 and not the other way round. This makes me wonder. After the device is idle for a while, both my monitors go to sleep (power saving mode). When they are awakened, monitor 1 takes slightly longer to turn on. Maybe there’s a race condition where, while turning on, Plasma thinks there’s only one monitor and so moves everything to monitor 2?

It could be someting like that yes, or that KDE saves a bad configuration file like in my case, I don’t really know. Once the issue arrives, does it go away easily, or are you stuck with a broken desktop?

So some more ideas:

If you’re reinstalling, I might recommend not only trying the Wayland
session, but also the Plasma 5.25 beta (or the full release in a month). We
did a lot of multimonitor work for that release.

• does it go away if you use the nomodeset kernel parameter?
  • which kernel do you have?
  • Are you an nvidia user? Apparently I read that sometimes nvidia can cause troubles to KDE.

Those are some nice ideas.

1. I’ll look at the bug.
  2. No I don’t have other monitors. Monitor 2 uses DisplayPort and monitor 1 uses HDMI. For context I have been using this setup for the last year with Arch Linux and there was no issue.
  3. Set the nomodeset option. Let’s see if it goes away.
  4. Kernel is 5.15.72
  5. Not Nvidia. I have Radeon 6600XT

Reporting back after adding nomodeset. PC stopped sending signal to monitor 1 completely. Even in monitor 2, there were freezes and flickering.

Uhm I running out of ideas sorry… Have you tried to see if the wayland version helps? If it also fails my best advice would be to fill an issue on nixpkgs and on KDE, tagging the Nix KDE team.

Wayland seems to be even more broken. I can’t even unlock the screen.

Whaou that’s quite surprising. You mean that you can open it once but no not after your computer goes to sleep ? Do you get any sort of error?

Actually, I’m thinking that some of the issues may be related to hardware/driver issues, especially the freeze… And, what a surprise on the NixOs wiki there is a section “Problems with dual monitors”… that seems to fit your setting ^^ AMD GPU - NixOS Wiki

So my next guess would be to check and add the various options given in the wiki page, to enable the kernels modules, ask x11 to use amd and most importantly to add the properly configured video entries in your grub boot.

Sorry for this iterative process that may look a bit random, I’m neither a KDE expert nor an AMD expert ^^

The lock screen comes up. I enter my password and press enter. it shows me a “unlock” button. I press on it. Nothing happens :confused:

I’ll now go through the wiki.

It didn’t help, but I found this. It seems like it’s a general issue with KDE and multi-monitors.

so I am using a second monitor since the beginning and was always happy with it.
Yesterday, I plugged my laptop to a SmartTV (HDMI) and completely f*cked up my main screen. (the secondary screen still works perfectly fine, otherwise I couldn’t type this)

Whatever I try, it doesn’t get better. The screen obviously isn’t broken, as the boot screen looks fine.
I can’t stand it, this behaviour really sucks :frowning: