Keep getting error trying to set up Virtual Machine on a separate drive

Hi! I’m using Virtual Machine Manager and tyring to setup a VM on a separate ssd drive which i mounted in /run/media/username/vmssd. I tried changing partition file system type to NTFS and fat but I always get an error where manager is telling me that I am pointing to a directory not a disk drive.

Here’s the error I get:

Unable to complete install: ‘unsupported configuration: storage type ‘dir’ requires use of storage format >‘fat’’

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/nix/store/zx63zw7af0lcx88qqz9cy6sy4562s90r-virt-manager-4.1.0/share/virt-manager/virtManager/asyncjob.py”, line 72, in cb_wrapper
callback(asyncjob, *args, **kwargs)
File “/nix/store/zx63zw7af0lcx88qqz9cy6sy4562s90r-virt-manager-4.1.0/share/virt-manager/virtManager/createvm.py”, line 2008, in _do_async_install
installer.start_install(guest, meter=meter)
File “/nix/store/zx63zw7af0lcx88qqz9cy6sy4562s90r-virt-manager-4.1.0/share/virt-manager/virtinst/install/installer.py”, line 695, in start_install
domain = self._create_guest(
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
File “/nix/store/zx63zw7af0lcx88qqz9cy6sy4562s90r-virt-manager-4.1.0/share/virt-manager/virtinst/install/installer.py”, line 637, in _create_guest
domain = self.conn.createXML(initial_xml or final_xml, 0)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
File “/nix/store/bks0bn3nsq36lw01pnimj80nbqh2dhj6-python3.11-libvirt-10.0.0/lib/python3.11/site-packages/libvirt.py”, line 4529, in createXML
raise libvirtError(‘virDomainCreateXML() failed’)
libvirt.libvirtError: unsupported configuration: storage type ‘dir’ requires use of storage format ‘fat’

I keep getting this error and I fail with installation, maybe I should point VMM to a different direction?
What do I do exactly to mitigate this problem, VMM always thinks it’s a directory, maybe I should make changes in the mount drive addresses in my configuration files or something of the sort? Please help! Any suggestions would be welcome! :open_hands:

My ssd mount settings in config file are just these:

fileSystems.“/run/media/username/vmssd” = {
device = “/dev/disk/by-uuid/uuidnumber”;
options = [
“users” # Allows any user to mount and unmount
“nofail” # Prevent system from failing if this drive doesn’t mount
];
};

The solution was trivial, I formatted the disk drive to a proper file system type and then pointed KVM to:

dev/sdc1

to write my VM installation so that it would recognize the disk as a disk not a directory.