Kickstart-nix.nvim - A dead simple Nix flake template repo for Neovim derivations

Hey :wave:

I’ve been maintaining kickstart-nix.nvim for a while.
And now that it has matured, I have decided to transfer it to nix-community and post an announcement here.

If Nix and Neovim have one thing in common, it’s that many new users don’t know where to get started.
Most Nix-based Neovim setups assume deep expertise in both realms, abstracting away
Neovim’s core functionalities as well as the Nix internals used to build a Neovim config.
Frameworks and module-based DSLs are opinionated and difficult to diverge from with one’s own modifications.

kickstart-nix.nvim is different: It’s geared for users of all levels, making the migration of
Neovim configurations to Nix straightforward. This project aims to be as simple as possible,
while allowing for maximum flexibility.

More details in the readme :smile:

16 Likes

I was searching something similar like this but such heavy use of lua to config make me feel like there is not much different then directly importing kickstart.nvim. imho wouldnot using nixvim make it more approachable and make it more suited to “nix-way”. It would feel little coherent then mixing lua and nix. Although lua is needed while using nixvim it is not as prevalent in nixvim.

there is not much different then directly importing kickstart.nvim

kickstart.nvim uses lazy.nvim to manage plugins and mason.nvim to manage language servers. That’s a pretty big difference.

imho wouldnot using nixvim 2 make it more approachable and make it more suited to “nix-way”.

There’s no such thing as a single “nix-way”. NixVim uses a Nix DSL as an abstraction layer over plugin configuration.
I describe in the readme why I did not choose that route.
Both approaches give you reproducible Neovim derivations.

Some people might prefer the NixVim approach. Some might prefer the kickstart-nix.nvim approach. Some might prefer the nixCats.nvim approach.

Choice is a good thing :smile:

1 Like