Laptop keyboard not working

I’m using GNOME and my laptop is the Asus TUF Gaming A16 Advantage
I dont think its a DE issue because i cant type in tty either
I do use a different keyboard layout (US-Workman) but i cant type in normal US either
A cheap logitech external keyboard works fine

I also had trouble installing (it was dns) but i doubt that that’s relevant

Can you manage to get the output of lsmod in the live environment (where I assume the keyboard worked) and the installed one? dmesg and uname -a would be helpful too.

Odds are either the keyboard driver module is just not picked up by nixos-generate yet, or your kernel is too old (looks like the laptop is from 2023, and the latest LTS kernel originates in 2022, so would likely be missing a module like this). l33t gam3r keyboards can be a bit funky.

```[alex@nixos:~]$ lsmodModule Size Used byqrtr - Pastebin.com (lsmod, dmesg, and uname -a from installed)

Keyboard has the same behavior in live

Ah, lsmod won’t help then.

0.937662] atkbd serio0: Failed to enable keyboard on isa0060/serio0

[ 0.937752] input: AT Translated Set 2 keyboard as /devices/platform/i8042/serio0/input/input0

God I hate pastebin, utterly unusable for skimming through logs. Code blocks in discourse are more legible, usable, and they are also archived with the thread so random third party sites going down doesn’t delete half the context. Plus search engines can pick up that text, too.

Anyway, that message is quite generic and probably a red herring. It’s the only message I could sift out, quite possible there’s more hidden. The color output from dmesg is usually easier to read than a color-stripped copy, so feel free to look through it yourself too.

That and some of the messages suggest to me you started this after running out of battery/shutting the lid? dmesg output immediately after a fresh boot is much more useable.

Linux nixos 6.1.82

Yeah, that’s a recent LTS kernel, we can possibly skip a bunch of debugging if you try:

boot.kernelPackages = pkgs.linuxKernel.packages.linux_latest;
1 Like
[alex@nixos:~]$ sudo nixos-rebuild switch
[sudo] password for alex: 
building Nix...
building the system configuration...
error:
       … while calling the 'head' builtin

at /nix/store/jky05l5n9s8cv2wf80chjbil5qh87z4q-nixos-23.11.5541.56528ee42526/nixos/lib/attrsets.nix:922:11:

921|         || pred here (elemAt values 1) (head values) then
          922|           head values
             |           ^
          923|         else

… while evaluating the attribute 'value'

at /nix/store/jky05l5n9s8cv2wf80chjbil5qh87z4q-nixos-23.11.5541.56528ee42526/nixos/lib/modules.nix:807:9:

806|     in warnDeprecation opt //
          807|       { value = builtins.addErrorContext "while evaluating the option `${showOption loc}':" value;
             |         ^
          808|         inherit (res.defsFinal') highestPrio;

(stack trace truncated; use '--show-trace' to show the full trace)

error: attribute 'linux_latest' missing

at /etc/nixos/configuration.nix:17:25:

16|   boot.loader.efi.canTouchEfiVariables = true;
           17|   boot.kernelPackages = pkgs.linuxKernel.packages.linux_latest;
             |                         ^
           18|

[alex@nixos:~]$ 

cant add that to my config

dmesg > [alex@nixos:~]$ dmesg[ 0.000000] Linux version 6.1.82 (nixbld@localhost) (g - Pastebin.com
the reason i didnt put dmesg here was because i didnt have enough chars
also that same line about not enabling keyboard is still there, its the only red i saw

Solved.

The default config had some misnamed keyboard options, updating fixed it.