Let's improve the RFC process!

I’ve seen a lot of people express frustration with the RFC process, and I fully agree with that. While the underlying idea of RFCs is pretty great (to clearly describe, argue for and agree on substantial changes), the GitHub interface leaves a lot to be desired and gets in the way more often than not.

At the start of last year I opened an RFC with a fairly simple idea to alleviate some of the problems: To switch RFC development to entire repositories. This way, discussions get split up into multiple issues/PRs, instead of having one arbitrarily long PR thread. This approach isn’t without downsides, but I think they’re outweighed by the advantages and ease of implementing. See the RFC for more details:

https://github.com/NixOS/rfcs/pull/138

While the RFC made some progress, it got stalled due to there not being enough interest. However, recently @GetPsyched showed interest in helping out, and I also had chats with @jtojnar and others. I’m getting the feeling there’s general agreement about this idea. So let’s give it another try!

RFCs need at least 3 shepherds to make progress, and so far we have 1, @GetPsyched, so we need at least 2 more shepherds. If you’re interested in helping out, please nominate yourself in an RFC comment!

3 Likes

Pingback to Improving our RFC process