Links in unstable NixOS manual appendix are broken

The NixOS Unstable Manual Appendix A contains a “declared by” with a link to a NixOS module in GitHub, but these links are always broken.

E.g., <nixpkgs/nixos/modules/config/appstream.nix> links to https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/blob/release-24.11/nixos/modules/config/appstream.nix which refers to a tag, release-24.11 that does not exist yet. This can be rectified by replacing that tag with nixos-unstable, which does exist. But, since these links are automatically generated, why can’t we change the generator to generate links to nixos-unstable?

I searched for “nixos unstable manual links don’t work” on GitHub but none of the 6 issues were relevant. Is there an GitHub issue for tracking this bug?

Very well possible that there’s no GitHub issue, please create one and label it documentation. But don’t expect it to be fixed any time soon. People seem to generally overestimate the state of maintenance of NixOS documentation. I don’t know anyone actively working on it. My available time is fully booked with maintaining Nix and Nixpkgs documentation.

1 Like

Issue exists, I did a bit of digging: nixos/doc: Source links are broken, pointing at "release-19.09" · Issue #66917 · NixOS/nixpkgs · GitHub

2 Likes

Not sure why this doesn’t show up when I searched for it… Thanks for the link.