Lix 2.90 "Vanilla Ice Cream"

57 Likes

Been driving Lix for a while now, must say the improved eval times are much appreciated. :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Quite an impressive first release.
As someone who really doesn’t want any headache of migrating – it’s pretty appealing…

4 Likes

It’s honestly not a “big headache” at all. On NixOS you simply

nix.package = pkgs.lix;

An that’s it.

5 Likes

As I wanted lix for nearly everything, I used an overlay instead.

nixpkgs.overlays = [ (f: _: { nix = f.lixVersions.latest; }) ];

(Yes, this will, intentionally, cause several rebuilds.)

Though, anything that needs a specific version of nix (e.g. nix-eval-jobs) won’t be able to use lix, of course.

1 Like

fwiw there’s a fork of nix-eval-jobs working together with Lix: https://git.lix.systems/lix-project/nix-eval-jobs

5 Likes

I just tried this, and of course it is just that easy.

Even after half decade of NixOS use I’m still surprised how seamless and fearless such big experimentation can be. If there is an issue, things will likely not build. Even if it builds and breaks, just reboot and get back to working state.

That said, I am really seeing improved perf work, and it is indeed an impressive release. Congrats to all involved!

9 Likes

On that note, is it possible to pin their fork to a specific applicable version? e.g. since I’m using lix 2.90.0-rc1 for now, how might I know which associated commit to use (I don’t see any tags)?

Seems like there are tags in the repo.

2 Likes

I’m referring to the nix-eval-jobs fork

edit: 2.90.0-rc1 appears to correspond to 9c23772cf25e0d891bef70b7bcb7df36239672a5 in the fork

congrats team, seems a lot of new feature for the first release! :clap:

I’m curios, do you have any plans to backport back to the upstream ccpnix some of the enchantments you made? especially around flakes, thanks.

2 Likes