Managing PostgreSQL with GUI tools (pgadmin, pgmanage)

Hello everyone!

I have a working postgres server an a client, however none of the graphical tools seem to work properly for me. I wanted to fill a bug report but it might be that problems lie in my configuration (or lack of it).

I can run pgadmin3, and connect to local server but with multiple warnings starting with:

The server you are connecting to is not a version that is supported by this release of pgAdmin III.

pgAdmin III may not function as expected.

Supported server versions are 8.4 to 9.6

My version is PostgreSQL 11.7 on x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, compiled by gcc (GCC) 9.2.0, 64-bit

but when I try to connect to external server (as it works in psql), it gives me an outright segmentation fault. Server version is PostgreSQL 11.6 on x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, compiled by gcc (GCC) 4.8.3 20140911 (Red Hat 4.8.3-9), 64-bit.
Can it be just due to version mismatch? What are the reasons for us not to be able to have pgadmin4 on nixos?

Trying something else I added pgmanage to my packages list and when I run it in a command line:

$ pgmanage                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               
Open http://<this computer's ip>:8080/ in your web browser

it shows the following in the browser:

FATAL
util_canonical.c:canonical: pgmanage/ is a bad path. Path contains invalid characters.

Bad file path

In case it matters my postgres config is:

services.postgresql = {
    enable = true;
    package = pkgs.postgresql_11;
    extraPlugins = [pkgs.postgis];
    enableTCPIP = true;
    authentication = pkgs.lib.mkOverride 11 ''
      local all all trust
      host all all ::1/128 trust
    '';
    };
 - system: `"x86_64-linux"`
 - host os: `Linux 5.4.33, NixOS, 20.03.1445.95b9c99f6d0 (Markhor)`
 - multi-user?: `yes`
 - sandbox: `yes`
 - version: `nix-env (Nix) 2.3.4`
 - channels(root): `"nixos-20.03.1445.95b9c99f6d0"`
 - nixpkgs: `/nix/var/nix/profiles/per-user/root/channels/nixos`

I wonder how other NixOS users are managing their postgres databases. Is there a better forum to raise the problems I’m experiencing?
Thanks for any help.
Miks

1 Like

psql is very good once you get experience. The \d+, \l+, pg_size_pretty, the COPY, \copy, streaming pg_dump and streaming psql, \timing on, explain (analyze, buffers) ..., the create table ... as select .. and so on, all these nifty tricks are not that easy using GUI tools.

For casual access pgadmin may be fine. See also Update pgadmin to v4 · Issue #33103 · NixOS/nixpkgs · GitHub

1 Like

Thanks @danbst! The main reason for using GUI is PostGIS support. I want to be able edit and display geographical shapes. Is there maybe some way of connecting psql to a webview with an output display or sth?

1 Like

I’ve recently discovered dbeaver, it is available in our repository is easy to use and works with a variety of databases.

2 Likes