Missing cache for poedit package on channel nixos-21.11-small since today

Since today, when trying to launch the shell (nix-shell) of my project using the package poedit, then many things are being compiled locally instead of being retrieved from the nixos binary cache. Unfortunately, it never finishes (my machine actually runs out of memory).

$ nix-shell 
these derivations will be built:
  /nix/store/5is3icg1hc3aq1vfw7q3maf3j5cm7j22-webkitgtk-2.34.3.drv
  /nix/store/88kbq5v4zhpj4akiwlvqzp2ysq7g0skr-wxwidgets-3.1.4.drv
  /nix/store/6mkx5v1xrq5pk010k2sw0q7fjjpwkf3y-poedit-3.0.drv
building '/nix/store/5is3icg1hc3aq1vfw7q3maf3j5cm7j22-webkitgtk-2.34.3.drv'...
[ā€¦]

For information, I use the channel nixos-21.11-small. However, it works fine when using nixos-21.11 or nixos-unstable channels.

What could cause that? Does it seem normal that I run out of memory to compile locally considering I have 13.3 GB of memory (on a virtual machine)?

The whole purpose of -small is that it can update fast due to depending on very few things. That is even if some binaries arenā€™t available yet or some of the ā€œbig testsā€ fail.

1 Like

Yes, some builds can get very expensive on RAM, and webkitgtk is one of them.

1 Like

you may be able to use zramSwap , or add a degree on disk swap space to get around the problem. It wonā€™t be fast, but it will get the job done.

Else, use a remote builder, or nixbuild.net if you donā€™t have any larger pieces of hardware you can ā€˜assimilateā€™ into nix! :slight_smile: