Multiseat X on NixOS

I have an old nvidia card which can run either the legacy nvidia driver or nouveau, and a more modern nvidia card which can use the regular nvidia binary driver.

In the distant past I ran into some issues with multiseat X and different versions of the nvidia binary driver on Gentoo. Having 2 different video drivers loaded at the same time wouldn’t work.

I’m back to a spot where I’d like to run a single computer which serves as a kde desktop with a monitor as well as a htpc running kodi and steam on a tv. I think multiseat X is still the best way to go but if anyone has another idea I’m certainly open to it.

Does anyone know if I can run 2 different video drivers on NixOS? Does anyone have a working multiseat X configuration they could share?

Thanks

Were you able to get multiseat working?

The way X is these days, you don’t need to put much effort into writing custom x conf files anymore. Much (if not all) of it is auto-configured.

Unfortunately I didn’t end up getting it working. I tried a few things with multiseat but quickly realized with very minimal effort I could get pretty much the same results I wanted with a few window manager rules in KWin.

That is too bad. I got to thinking, there is an open feature request on the SDDM GitHub for multiseat support. This is likely why it would not work for you.

https://github.com/sddm/sddm/issues/1042

Both LightDM and GDM have currently working automatic multiseat support. You may also find this of some use later on should you decide to give full multiseat another try.