contributing to Nixpkgs from a long amount of time. Nonetheless it can be used
to mark any long term inactivity, including but not limited to:

• Sabbatical leave
  • Retirement
  • Intimate issues
  • Force majeure

In principle, a third person can set this attribute. For the sake of a good
etiquette, in such case at least one contact attempt should be issued and
carried out before effectively committing it to the codebase.

This attribute can be employed to many useful activities, including but not
limited to:

• Treewide automation
  • Removal of inactive maintainers from packages
  • Orphaning alerts
  • Filter automatic notifications

this fall under ā€œtoo much informationā€

i read through the discussion and understand what youā€™re trying to achieveā€¦ and maybe itā€™s just meā€¦ but it feels a bit strange to record this information here :thinking:

6 Likes

At a guess this might be a mild mistranslation? :slight_smile: I think ā€œpersonal issuesā€ might be more idiomatic for ā€œnon-project related, doesnā€™t want to disclose furtherā€? (E.g. health, relationship, family problems, etc)

1 Like

It might be worth thinking about how and in what circumstances the information is useful. Ultimately I guess it comes down to ā€œis the maintainer likely to become active againā€ and ā€œif so, in what sort of time-frameā€? In which case perhaps it might be better as a non-free form field that covers those two things. The third bit of useful info might be ā€œhow sure are we of the accuracy of this informationā€, which might encompass whether it was set by the maintainer themselves or a third party, etc.

At a guess this might be a mild mistranslation? :slight_smile: I think ā€œpersonal issuesā€ might be more idiomatic for ā€œnon-project related, doesnā€™t want to disclosure furtherā€? (E.g. health, relationship, family problems, etc)

Yes, that was the idea initially.
I have updated on the original PR.

Ultimately I guess it comes down to ā€œis the maintainer likely to become active againā€ and ā€œif so, in what sort of time-frameā€?

Yes. The most typical usage would be in cases of ā€œthe maintainer is not respondingā€. But nothing hinders the maintainer theemself of filling this field.

1 Like

privacy concerns probably make this information less valuable than you think it will be - i stand against recording family issues that our maintainers have in pkgs/ā€¦ which leads into my next point: this sounds like a highly speculative game that results in rules that sound awkward when spoken out loud

why donā€™t we just make it simple and say something super generic like ā€œno activity after x units of time results in removal of maintainer statusā€ with the well understood fact that it isnā€™t ā€œpersonalā€ and weā€™re happy to have you back?

if any of this is to avoid making someone feel bad for removing their maintainer status i feel like the alternative overall causes was less undesirable feeling as long as it is a well documented policy

but these are just my thoughts ā€¦ :man_shrugging:

5 Likes

This can work, as long as we have tooling to support it (which we currently donā€™t). and there is some benefit ti having maintainers explicitly say they are busy (the reason is still too-much-info IMO)

Originally I proposed a mere Boolean field isActive, default true.

@pbsds (hi!) vented the idea of a free-form text field, since it would be useful to put some info like ā€œno activity since YYYY-MM-DDā€.