Netdata email alarm configuration

I’m trying to configure Netdata to send an email when a monitoring alarm goes off. The nix package does have a configuration option netdata.config in which I can specify options. However, it seems that email configuration happens in a different configuration file health_alarm_notify.conf, which is written in Bash. Am I correct that there is no way to directly modify this file using nix? If not, what is the recommended way of patching the file manually?

1 Like

Hi!
In order to create an email notification, you would need to firstly create (or use the default) alarms in the health_alarm_notify.conf file, exactly as you mentioned. But, in order to activate an alarming scheme, you have to modify the file alarm-notify.sh, in which you can specify alarming method and conditions.

You can read more about netdata health in the docs !

Oh yes, the email is in alarm-notify.sh. I understand how I would configure this on a traditional linux distribution. But it is not clear to me how to do it in nixos. As far as I can see, the nixpkg for netdata does not support modifying these files. What would your approach be for that?

Thanks for your help!

1 Like

I had the same problem and used the following config to move it from the nix store to my configuration where I could edit it.

environment.etc."netdata/health_alarm_notify.conf".source = "/etc/nixos/modules/netdata/health_alarm_notify.conf";

Within the health_alarm_notify.conf file, this edit sendmail="/run/wrappers/bin/sendmail" got it to start sending emails. I also made these two changes, though it is less clear how essential they were:

date_format='+%x %X'
EMAIL_THREADING="YES"
2 Likes

Very interesting! I’ll have to take a look at this. Thanks for your post!

1 Like