NFS slows down after upgrading to 23.11

Hi All,
After upgrading from NixOS 23.05 to NixOS 23.11 the NFS performance from server to NixOS client dropped to around 3 to 4 MB/secs. From NixOS client to server works fine.

There has been no change in the NFS configuration. The mount options are the same as before:
x.x.x.x:/svr/hans on /svr/hans type nfs4 (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,noatime,vers=4.2,rsize=1048576,wsize=1048576,namlen=255,hard,proto=tcp,timeo=600,retrans=2,sec=sys,clientaddr=xx.xx.xx.xx,local_lock=none,addr=xx.xx.xx.xx,user=xxx)

The kernel from 23.11:

Linux mercurius 6.6.4 #1-NixOS SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Sun Dec  3 06:33:10 UTC 2023 x86_64 GNU/Linux

There are no errors in dmesg and journalctl.

I would like that NFS works as before because I work with large files or a lot of small files.

Does any know this a bug or knows how to proceed?

Hi there,
I made more analyses.

1. The flake configuration of this machine forces the most possible kernel version 6.6.5.
  2. In a more simple setup with nixos 23.11, it uses initially kernel 6.1.x at which NFSv4 works fine as before. If you use config boot.kernelPackages = pkgs.linuxPackages_latest NFSv4 has the same problem.
  3. Checking the NFSv4 setup including troubleshooting did not result in any remark.

Based on this info, this smells like an upstream kernel bug.

Could you try linuxPackages_6_5?

Hi there,

I found the kernel and kernel packages using nixos package search:

• linuxKernel.kernels.linux_6_5
  • linuxKernel.packages.linux_6_5.zfs

I added the kernel directive:
boot.kernelPackages = pkgs.linuxKernel.kernels.linux_6_5

nixos returns with errors:

[root@mxxxxx:/etc/nixos]# nixos-rebuild dry-build --flake flake.nix
building the system configuration...
path '/etc/nixos/flake.nix' does not contain a 'flake.nix', searching up
error:
       … while calling the 'head' builtin

at /nix/store/z0513hax0dsbix0x89wr7fca8sa99sxc-source/lib/attrsets.nix:850:11:

849|         || pred here (elemAt values 1) (head values) then
          850|           head values
             |           ^
          851|         else

… while evaluating the attribute 'value'

at /nix/store/z0513hax0dsbix0x89wr7fca8sa99sxc-source/lib/modules.nix:807:9:

806|     in warnDeprecation opt //
          807|       { value = builtins.addErrorContext "while evaluating the option `${showOption loc}':" value;
             |         ^
          808|         inherit (res.defsFinal') highestPrio;

(stack trace truncated; use '--show-trace' to show the full trace)

error: attribute 'extend' missing

at /nix/store/z0513hax0dsbix0x89wr7fca8sa99sxc-source/nixos/modules/system/boot/kernel.nix:43:31:

42|       type = types.raw;
           43|       apply = kernelPackages: kernelPackages.extend (self: super: {
             |                               ^
           44|         kernel = super.kernel.override (originalArgs: {

There is an attribute extend missing in the definition. I would like to know how to proceed.

The correct config is:

boot.kernelPackages = pkgs.linuxPackages_6_5;

The error message you see here seems like and unrelated issue with your flake. I don’t use flakes, so I can’t help you with that and it’s a topic for another discussion as this issue would happen regardless of your actual NixOS config.
(My guess would be the (IMHO) needless tight coupling of flakes with git; make sure you git add all the files, dot all the is, cross the ts and whatever other new dance flakes might require by now.)

Hi there,
I applied the kernel config for kernel 6.5 and got kernel 6.5.13. As a bonus I got A correct nvidia (unfree) driver. With this kernel the NFSv4.2 problem does not occur any more.
Finally I made some adjustments to cleanup the build. The commands to build with flakes in my environment is:

export NIXPKGS_ALLOW_UNFREE=1
nixos-rebuild boot --flake "git+file":///etc/nixos --impure

Thanks to Atemu I could apply a workaround.

Note that kernel 6.5 won’t be around for much longer; it’s already marked as EOL on kernel.org.

I’d highly recommend sticking to the regular LTS kernel instead (6.1 for 23.11, simply unset
boot.kernelPackages).

Hi there,
Good point to use the LTS kernel version 6.1. This could be easy changed in my configuration.nix and works ok with NFSv4.2:

boot.kernelPackages = pkgs.linuxPackages_6_1;

In my situation this overrides the flake configuration :slightly_smiling_face:.